cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dose UCS B200 release 1.3.1 with M81KR support the Sanboot Win2K8 R2 SP1?

aliceminli
Level 1
Level 1

I have a  UCS blade B200 need to install a storage sanboot system Win2K8 R2 SP1. the HBA is M81KR, the current UCS manager release is 1.3.1p, and the adapter firmware is the 1.0.1. looks like the below picture

ucs.JPG

I check the Interoperability Matrix of 1.3.1, it seems only support the OS version Windows Server 2008 R2 w/Hyper-V.

so, my question is,  if I want to install a sanboot system Win2K8 R2 SP1, I should only update the hba firmware to 1.3.1p? or update the UCS Bios and UCS manager and hba adapter firmware both to the latest version 2.0.1?

Currently,

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." will happen during installing the OS

who can give me some advise?

thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeffrey Allen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

#1 - you definitely need to update your UCS Manager and adapter BIOS. You are more than 1 year behind.

You need to check a few things:

1) If you using Virtual Media to install, make sure you re-mount the OS media and click the refresh button.

2) Make sure the UCS Boot Policy has a matching LUN number to the LUN being presented by the array to the host.

3) Make sure the target (array) WWPN in the UCS Boot Policy matches the array's WWPN that the adapter can see on the perspective fabric.

For #2 and #3, you will know if you have it right during the server POST when it initializes the M81KR - it will display the array's WWPN and the LUN ID. If it just pauses and never displays this, something is wrong in the Boot Policy. You will need to disable "Quite Boot" the server bios to watch Palo initialize and see these messages.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jeffrey Allen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

#1 - you definitely need to update your UCS Manager and adapter BIOS. You are more than 1 year behind.

You need to check a few things:

1) If you using Virtual Media to install, make sure you re-mount the OS media and click the refresh button.

2) Make sure the UCS Boot Policy has a matching LUN number to the LUN being presented by the array to the host.

3) Make sure the target (array) WWPN in the UCS Boot Policy matches the array's WWPN that the adapter can see on the perspective fabric.

For #2 and #3, you will know if you have it right during the server POST when it initializes the M81KR - it will display the array's WWPN and the LUN ID. If it just pauses and never displays this, something is wrong in the Boot Policy. You will need to disable "Quite Boot" the server bios to watch Palo initialize and see these messages.

Thanks for your help.

I have installed the OS successfully after update the firmware of adapter andCIMC ctlr to the latest version 2.0.1.

And I also followed your guidance and confirmed the above 3 steps.

But the I/O module would not accept the update. the version of IO/module still is 1.3.1. looks like below image.

The versions of the all component are different.(I/OM is 1.3.1, Adapter is 2.0.1).

Dose it have some potential issue?

You cannot activate the IO Modules to a new version unless you activate the Fabric Interconnects. And you need to activate UCS Manager before you activate the FI's. When you are activating the FI, the IOM will activate on it's own. See this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/upgrading/from1.3/to2.0/b_UpgradingCiscoUCSFrom1.3To2.0.html

You really need to complete this now since you are at a bunch of different versions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: