Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual NIC integration {one NIC in

douglas.heppler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm going to implement a dual NIC setup on a MCS-7835 Compaq server. When we build the server we loaded the Cisco Unity WIN-2000 build CD's {ghosted image?} I have physically dual NIC on board but only one shows up in network connections in WIN-2000. Do you know if the ghosted image disables the second on board NIC during setup? Can you shed light on what I will have to do to bring the second NIC back into windows so I can configure the HP Prolient network config utility 7 for WIN-2K to enable dual NIC integration?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

I can give you part of the information. This Cisco link shows how Unity should be configured with dual NICs, which I believe is current despite its December 2003 date. NIC teaming I don't believe is supported. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00801d1c56.shtml

In our previous configuration Win2K with Unity 3.1(5), we elected to disable the second NIC. I did not use the Unity WIN-2000 build CD, rather I used MS Win2K Standard Server CD. When we upgraded to Unity 4.0(3), the NIC status was not changed. I do plan to change it to an Active-passive Fault Tolerant configuration.

Sincerely,

Ginger

douglas.heppler
Level 1
Level 1

Out of interest, I discovered the second NIC was indeed disabled in the BIOS. There were no available IRQ's to assign, so I disabled the USB controller in the BIOS and used the IRQ from it.

Things seem to be working fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: