Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling Unity Notification Device via API

bstromquist
Level 1
Level 1

This is happening on Unity 5.0.1:

I'm using Unity's Stored Procedure API to enable/disable notification devices by invoking calls to sp_ModifyNotificationDevice. The calls appear to go through just fine. I can verify via web/sa that the changes sent are in place. The problem is that notifications are never received on the device.

If I make the same exact change through web/sa then notifications go through. Also if I use web/sa and examine a notification device that was configured via the API, make a minor change (such as bump up the retry attempts) it will then start working.

Is there some other procedure call that needs to happen to make this work?

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The notifier service doesn't get triggered to pick up updates from the DB automatically in Unity (they do in Connection). The SA is doing it's work through the COM based DOH interface which takes care of forcing the notifier to reload data for the device you just updated - when making the change through the DB directly you either have to snag a handle to the gateway interface and kick the notifier to reload that device (black belt stuff) or you have to restart the notifier service itself. Restarting the service is pretty heavy if you're going to be making this change often. But if it's a bulk operation that you do and when you're done you can cycle the service it may be an option.

How might one go about "snagging a handle to the gateway interface"?

ping me off line (lindborg at cisco dot com) and I'll give you the secret handshake.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: