cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange Management Service Hangs on Startup

a.gregory
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing Unity 4.03 on a MCS7825. Following the 4.03 install doc, I got up to installing Exchange 2000, rebooted, no problems. I then install Exch2000 sp3, reboot, and I get an error saying the Exchange Management Service hung on starting. After a minute or so the service eventually starts but I'm concerned that this will affect Unity starting.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

I am running an offbox Exchange 2000 with Unity 4.0(3) so I will not be able to address your question as to whether or not the delayed start will affect Unity. However, the Exchange management service was introduced in Exchange 2000 SP2 for message tracking and the DsAccess interface in Exchange System Manager. Here is the MS link describing http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307413

Exchange 2000 SP3 applied some corrective maintenance to the service. So you might want to check with MS regarding the delayed start. Hopefully the error in your application event log provided an indication as to why the service encountered problems - you may have gotten a corresponding error in the System event log as well.

Best wishes!

Ginger

Thanks Ginger.

This shouldn't cause Unity any problems. We don't actually use the Exchange System Manager or Exchange Management Service directly. All the Exchange System Manager does is add a server class MAPI subsystem to Windows which Unity then uses to access Exchange. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you aren't seeing a problem in Unity.

Hope this helps...

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: