cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange server setup question

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a question about an Exchange server, I noticed that one of my Exchange servers has 4 paritions spanning 2 hard drives, and an M parition which is 55 GB, but which does not appear in Disk management. The M partition contains the domain folder, the mailbox databases are on D: drive. How can I figure out how much disk space I really have for voicemails? And is this configuration supported?

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

The "M" "virtual" drive that resides on Exchange (its not an additional 55GB, its just representation of the real exchange messages located on whichever drive you have configured for the mail store).

Other backgroun on this "M" drive:

The default for this drive is the "M" drive but if you manually created an "M" drive before you installed Exchange it will change to another available drive. It is now recommended to "disable" this drive.

Run the "Best Practices Analyzer Tool" on the Exchange server and it will find any issues you should change. Disabling that virtual drive is one that it will find and will instruct which registry entry to change:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/default.mspx

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

The "M" "virtual" drive that resides on Exchange (its not an additional 55GB, its just representation of the real exchange messages located on whichever drive you have configured for the mail store).

Other backgroun on this "M" drive:

The default for this drive is the "M" drive but if you manually created an "M" drive before you installed Exchange it will change to another available drive. It is now recommended to "disable" this drive.

Run the "Best Practices Analyzer Tool" on the Exchange server and it will find any issues you should change. Disabling that virtual drive is one that it will find and will instruct which registry entry to change:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/default.mspx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: