Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Failover design critiria

We are in the process to design a failover voicemail solution across a gigabit wan.

I put a global/DC/DNS on each site and create sites for the two locations according to Cisco best practice for mutiple unities. Cisco doesn't clear state how this should be done for failover in terms of the GC/DC/Sites/DNS etc.But I guess what I did is good even for failover.

Just want to confirm with you guys.

thanks

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Failover design critiria

Both Unity servers and the partner exchange server (along with all the exchange servers that serve Unity mailboxes) MUST be in the same SITE (as defined by Microsoft). You should have a Dns, Dc and GC in the same SITE.

For redundancy purposses, you should have a DNS/DC/GC in each location/physical-site. The servers in the physical-site point to the Dns, Dc and GC in their respective physical-site.

You probably have seen this but worth reiterating:

network connectivity should be no less than 45 Mbps

between the sites, and the messaging systems and messaging infrastructure components must be accessible by both Cisco Unity servers. (Note that messaging infrastructure components include domain controllers and/or directory servers, global catalog servers, and name resolution hosts.) Regardless of your network connectivity bandwidth, the response time between the Cisco Unity server and the Exchange servers it is connected to should be no more than a 40-millisecond

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps4608/c1612/ccmigration_09186a008022f4aa.pdf

So basically you are saying there is no need to create site at all. I can just use the default-first-site for all the servers, and put DCs/GC on both two locations, Unity on both locations into this default site, Right?

Did you get the answer of your question ?

I am also planning to deploy a second unity server at remote location. Pls let me know if there are any known issues on that.

Also what will be the minimum BW requirement for this deployement model.

Thanks in advance..

Cisco Employee

Actually it is backwards. If you have multiple geographic-locations, and the locations are connected by an unreliable/slow connection, then each site is considered a SITE. SITE is used to manage Windows 2000 domain based on the network quality.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps4608/c1612/ccmigration_09186a008022f4aa.pdf

Messaging Failover

There are two types of failover available with Cisco Unity. Both types require access to the same messaging systems and messaging infrastructure components. There is local failover, in which both the primary and secondary failover servers are co-located in the same physical site as the messaging system they service.

There is also remote failover, where the primary and secondary failover servers are located in separate

physical sites. In a remote failover configuration, the network connectivity should be no less than 45 Mbps between the sites, and the messaging systems and messaging infrastructure components must be accessible by both Cisco Unity servers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content