Helpful
Replies

fax on fxs port

dnicolaides
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i hope someone can assist me please.

i ahve a client with a 2821 SRST router. this router has an E1 for local PSTN breakout and a 2-port FXS module for fax. i installed the fax and configured the dial-peer and voice port last week and it was working fine until friday.

now if i try receive a fax it just rings and is not answered. if i try sending a fax it does not dial. this is now becoming urgent as they have no faxing.

here is the config on the gateway (attached)

thanks

Dimitri

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So, you started having the issue on Friday and something in your config changed on Thursday:

Current configuration : 4016 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 16:59:46 BST Thu Apr 22 2010
! NVRAM config last updated at 16:59:48 BST Thu Apr 22 2010
!

So, what was it that changed?  I would check there first.

Also, when you say that an ingress fax rings but is not answered, do you mean that the receiving fax machine is ringing or that you just hear the alert tone on the calling station.  Have you checked cables to make sure they are connected to the correct port on the gw and fax machine?  Sounds silly I know but if you are troubleshooting this remotely and haven't had the users make sure someone didn't move the fax machine, you will feel even more silly later.  I would also check a different analog device (doesn't need to be a fax) to ensure that you can place/receive voice calls on that particular port.  Sort of a stretch but the fax machine could be malfunctioning.

So, check the physical layer.  Then check the human layer (i.e. the config change).  Then let us know and folks can offer up suggestions on the VG side.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So, you started having the issue on Friday and something in your config changed on Thursday:

Current configuration : 4016 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 16:59:46 BST Thu Apr 22 2010
! NVRAM config last updated at 16:59:48 BST Thu Apr 22 2010
!

So, what was it that changed?  I would check there first.

Also, when you say that an ingress fax rings but is not answered, do you mean that the receiving fax machine is ringing or that you just hear the alert tone on the calling station.  Have you checked cables to make sure they are connected to the correct port on the gw and fax machine?  Sounds silly I know but if you are troubleshooting this remotely and haven't had the users make sure someone didn't move the fax machine, you will feel even more silly later.  I would also check a different analog device (doesn't need to be a fax) to ensure that you can place/receive voice calls on that particular port.  Sort of a stretch but the fax machine could be malfunctioning.

So, check the physical layer.  Then check the human layer (i.e. the config change).  Then let us know and folks can offer up suggestions on the VG side.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the information. When i spoke to the guys onsite they assured me that no changes had been made on the VG. Strange i know, how else does something just stop working hey?

So if i call the fax number (xxxxxxx8519) i can hear the ringing tone in my ear but the fax machine never answers the call. Ie. I don’t hear the fax tone.

I checked yesterday and the fax cable was plugged into the "line" port on the fax machine and the cable was plugged into port 0 of the FXS module in the router.

I will have someone check with an analog phone shortly and update.

Thanks again,

Dimitri

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Bill,

Loved the "Human Layer" reference +5 all day long!

Cheers!

Huff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: