Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Forward to another subscribers voicemail.

Hi,

I have a little bit of an issue with forwarding calls from one user’s phone to another users VM. What I'm after is a departmental voicemail so if one of the team leaves the office they can forward their phone to the departmental extension which is set to go straight to VM. I've got CallManager 3.33 and Unity 4.0(4).

So what I did was to create a dummy phone within CallManager with for example extension 7000 and set that phone to forward straight to VM. I then created a Unity subscriber account with the same extension.

So if a user forwards their desk phone to the 7000 extension I was hoping that if someone dials the users desk phone that it would leave a VM on the 7000’s mailbox... as you can guess this didn’t work because its picking up the users desk phone extension rather than the 7000 extension.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Or is there a better way to set this up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’m a newbie so please be gentle :)

5 REPLIES

Re: Forward to another subscribers voicemail.

In unity, make sure that the setting for the subscriber "7000" is set to go to VM only. Does not ring the phone, but setto VM only. If put 7000 ext on a phone somewhere, then it's a different story.

Hi -

As you have figured out, Unity retains the original called number for voicemail. There are other options you can do using Unity call handlers. For example, here is how we address a similar issue where voicemail needs to be shared by several team members. We also have CallManager so the example should work for you as well.

Scenario 1:

1. Your departmental team each has their own personal extension and voicemail in Unity.

2. Callers reach a public number 12345. This extension 12345 is a hunt pilot in CallManager. The Hunt group contains all of the extensions of the departmental team members.

3. The last member in the Hunt list in your dummy phone extension. This DN is configured to RNA and Busy to voicemail.

4. Create a shared inbox which all of the departmental team members have access, i.e. departmentvm. If you are a UM site, you can put the members into a distribution list, assign Editor permissions to inbox departmentvm. Then add this inbox to each user's Outlook view.

5. Voicemail enable user departmentvm. Create a greeting that is representative of the team's purpose and business needs (meaning what you want the caller to hear when the call does roll to voicemail. Once you import/create the Unity account, you can hide this user from the GAL if you prefer.

Scenario 2:

1. Your departmental team each has their own personal extension and voicemail in Unity.

2. Callers reach a public number 12345. This extension 12345 is a CTI route point in CallManager. Calls are forwarded to Unity.

3. Create a call handler in Unity with extension 12345. Record a greeting that is representative of the team's purpose and business needs (meaning what you want the caller to hear). You can tell the caller to dial an extension at any time OR advise them to enter a key to reach your Directory handler where the caller can search for users by first or last name.

4. On the call handler, you set up Caller Input keys that route the caller to different places and tell them this in the greeting, i.e. To reach Sam, press 1; To reach Bill, press 2; To leave a general voice message for our team, press 3 (route the voicemail to the shared inbox departmentvm).

5. Create a shared inbox which all of the departmental team members have access, i.e. departmentvm. If you are a UM site, you can put the members into a distribution list, assign Editor permissions to inbox departmentvm. Then add this inbox to each user's Outlook view.

6. Voicemail enable user departmentvm. Create a greeting that is representative of the team's purpose and business needs (meaning what you want the caller to hear when the call does roll to voicemail. Once you import/create the Unity account, you can hide this user from the GAL if you prefer.

These are just two examples of the many ways to can direct callers thru your organization. Here is a really good link to learn more about Unity audiotext applications and how to manage with a cool tool - http://www.ciscounitytools.com/APP_AudioTextManager403.htm

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Audio%20Text%20Applications%20in%20Unity.doc

And explained very well in the book, "Cisco Unity Deployment and Solutions Guide" - http://www.ciscounitytools.com/DOC_UnityBook.htm

Sincerely,

Ginger

Is there an easier way, for example to use the voicemail box of the last forwarded number? I was reading one of the post that this could be done with a tick box in Unity or Call Manager? Does anyone know?

Thanks

Blue

here's the link to get it done with the call handler. pretty easy and quick:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008065128f.shtml

Hi

Thanks for the link, but it does not address my issue. My issue is User A calls User B (who is a Unity subscriber). User B goes on holiday and forward all his call to User C. By default Unity plays message of User B, what do I need to do for Unity to play message from User C.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies