cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding voicemails by extension instead of name?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there a setting in Unity to foward voicemails by extension, rather then spelling a name? I think the name is faster, but for some reason... we have some vps that think differently.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tommer,

Hows things? Hopefully all is well with you!

Have a look at this excerpt and document. I think that this is what you are looking for:

For an individual user;

Changing Your Message Addressing Setting

Cisco Unity provides two ways to address messages to other subscribers by using your phone keypad:

•Spell a subscriber name.

•Enter a subscriber extension.

You change the message addressing setting that Cisco Unity uses by default only from the Cisco Unity Assistant, not by phone. Depending on how Cisco Unity is set up, you may be able to switch between spelling and number entry by pressing ## when you are prompted to address a message over the phone—regardless of the message addressing setting that you choose in the Cisco Unity Assistant.

To Change Your Message Addressing Setting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In the Cisco Unity Assistant, on the Preferences menu, click Phone Menu.

Step 2 On the Phone Menu Preferences page, in the When Addressing a Message Let Me Identify a Subscriber By section, click the option that you want to use as the default for messages that you send.

Step 3 Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Save.

From this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080640502.html#wp1127299

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or to change for a default setting;

Subscriber Template Conversation Settings

The standard subscriber conversation is a set of prerecorded instructions and options that Cisco Unity plays over the phone to subscribers when they listen to, send, and manage messages, and as they change their Cisco Unity settings. Note that Cisco Unity also offers an alternative to the standard conversation conversation.

Subscribers > Subscriber Template > Conversation Page

**Identify A Subscriber By**

Select how subscribers address messages to other subscribers. Subscribers can address messages over the phone by entering subscriber extensions, by spelling their first names, or by spelling their last names. Addressing by name requires lettered keypads on subscriber phones.

In the subscriber conversation, subscribers can switch between addressing by name and addressing by extension by pressing the # key twice. Note that when the Enable Spelled Name Search check box is unchecked on the System > Configuration > Settings page, subscribers can address messages over the phone only by entering subscriber extensions.

From this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080150165.html#34115

Also here is a similar thread from last month;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=IP%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddb0b1e

Hope this helps! Take care.

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts..........

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tommer,

Hows things? Hopefully all is well with you!

Have a look at this excerpt and document. I think that this is what you are looking for:

For an individual user;

Changing Your Message Addressing Setting

Cisco Unity provides two ways to address messages to other subscribers by using your phone keypad:

•Spell a subscriber name.

•Enter a subscriber extension.

You change the message addressing setting that Cisco Unity uses by default only from the Cisco Unity Assistant, not by phone. Depending on how Cisco Unity is set up, you may be able to switch between spelling and number entry by pressing ## when you are prompted to address a message over the phone—regardless of the message addressing setting that you choose in the Cisco Unity Assistant.

To Change Your Message Addressing Setting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In the Cisco Unity Assistant, on the Preferences menu, click Phone Menu.

Step 2 On the Phone Menu Preferences page, in the When Addressing a Message Let Me Identify a Subscriber By section, click the option that you want to use as the default for messages that you send.

Step 3 Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Save.

From this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080640502.html#wp1127299

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or to change for a default setting;

Subscriber Template Conversation Settings

The standard subscriber conversation is a set of prerecorded instructions and options that Cisco Unity plays over the phone to subscribers when they listen to, send, and manage messages, and as they change their Cisco Unity settings. Note that Cisco Unity also offers an alternative to the standard conversation conversation.

Subscribers > Subscriber Template > Conversation Page

**Identify A Subscriber By**

Select how subscribers address messages to other subscribers. Subscribers can address messages over the phone by entering subscriber extensions, by spelling their first names, or by spelling their last names. Addressing by name requires lettered keypads on subscriber phones.

In the subscriber conversation, subscribers can switch between addressing by name and addressing by extension by pressing the # key twice. Note that when the Enable Spelled Name Search check box is unchecked on the System > Configuration > Settings page, subscribers can address messages over the phone only by entering subscriber extensions.

From this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080150165.html#34115

Also here is a similar thread from last month;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=IP%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddb0b1e

Hope this helps! Take care.

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts..........

That looks like the spot, but I wonder why you can't do both. Spell the name or use the extension number to address a message? It looks you have to decide either or... not both.

Actually, you know what. I followed the instructions for fowarding messages, and I have spell by name default in my templates... but the "##" to dial extension is not public information.... I will have to relay to my users.

Crazy Unity rollout here. Dual integration with CCM and 3 PIMGs to an old Rolm system. Dern MWI between Unity and PhoneMail keep fighting with each other at the phone...I think I got Unity to be the winner as I migrate people off PhoneMail.. (piece of crap!)

thanks much!!!!!!

Hi guys,

is there a way of changing the option to search by subscriber extension from the opening greeting (i.e when option 4 and then the directory handler - there does not seem to be a search by extension option their?)...cheers...Jag

Jag,

Yep, there is. Just press ## to toggle between name entry and extension entry.

Hope that helps. If so, please rate.

Brad

Brad,

sorry not making myself clear, yes there is that option you have stated but I want the system to say extension rather than 1st name last name etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: