cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Foward several DNs to a single phone to use its VM box

CAMERON GILLIES
Level 1
Level 1

OK, here is what I am trying to do. I want to be able to foward no answer / busy on several phones to a single DN, and have a perminant CFA on this DN to Voice Mail. and use the Voice Mail box of this single DN. The default behaviour of the unity system is to route the call to the orignally called number and ignore any transfer / forwards that have occured to the call. I need to modifiy "something" so that it gets routed to the voice mail box of the DN that the calls are forwarded to.

I know that I can use call fowarding routing rules on the unity server, however I really need to be able to set this up so that there is no config changes required on unity to set this up, as the called phones will on a regular basis over time.

I hope this makes sense.

I would really appreciate any help on this one....

Regards,

Cameron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

This is working as designed a possible workaround will be the following:

1. Open CM Admin page, select Feature > Voice Mail > Voicemail Profile

2. Add a new Voicemail Profile, give it any name.

3. Choose the same 'Voice Mail Pilot' as currently being used.

4. Set the 'Voice Mail Box Mask' as the second DN .

5. Now save this Voicemail Profile.

6. Select option Device > Phone, and select the IP Phone which is forwarded (the

original called number).

7. Go to Line Configuration of his extension.

8. Choose the newly created Voicemail Profile for this extension.

The problem with this configuration is that the original called number will lose his VM

and always will go to the second phone VM.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

This is working as designed a possible workaround will be the following:

1. Open CM Admin page, select Feature > Voice Mail > Voicemail Profile

2. Add a new Voicemail Profile, give it any name.

3. Choose the same 'Voice Mail Pilot' as currently being used.

4. Set the 'Voice Mail Box Mask' as the second DN .

5. Now save this Voicemail Profile.

6. Select option Device > Phone, and select the IP Phone which is forwarded (the

original called number).

7. Go to Line Configuration of his extension.

8. Choose the newly created Voicemail Profile for this extension.

The problem with this configuration is that the original called number will lose his VM

and always will go to the second phone VM.

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here's one option:

1. Create a Voice Mail Profile and give it a mask of the DN that you want to forward to voicemail for.

2. Assign this profile to the DNs that you are forwarding and set CFB/CFNA to voicemail for these DNs.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Cameron,

Sharing a Cisco Unity Voice Mail Box between Two or More IP Phones

Configure Alternate Extensions

Note: This option will allow both phones to use their MWIs.

Open the Unity System Administrator web page.

Navigate to the subscriber?s profile. Select Subscribers > Find and Select a Subscriber > Enter Subscriber Information then click Find and click the Subscriber's name for the subscriber that owns the primary phone (XXXX).

When the subscriber page comes up, select the Alternate Extensions option and click Add

Enter the alternate extension number YYYY and click the Save icon.

Add the MWI extension to be turned from this menu selection by selecting Subscribers > Messages > Add and click Save.

Any call forwarded from Cisco CallManager from either extension XXXX or YYYY will be routed to this subscriber's voice mail box.

When a message is left, the MWI comes on for both extensions and goes off when the voice mail is retrieved from either phone.

From this excellent Unity doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008015ceec.shtml#steps

If you want to do this from CallManager follow these steps;

If the system administrator wants to send a different number to the Cisco Unity system, such as when the secondary phone (YYYY) is forwarding a call to voice mail, they can configure a Mask on the Voice Mail Profile that the phone has assigned to in order to change the number to XXXX. In the example below, the mask is XXXX.

Add the new Voice Mail Profile for the secondary phone by selecting Feature > Voice Mail > Voice Mail Profile > Add a New Voice Mail Profile.

Change the settings as shown below:

Voice Mail Profile Name: Enter a brief name for this profile.

Description: Provide a descriptive name for this profile. In this case YYYY-XXXX.

Voice Mail Pilot: Select the appropriate entry. In this case as the Default is selected.

Voice Mail Box Mask: Enter a mask that will translate the original Directory Number as required. In this case XXXX.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008015ceec.shtml#topic13

These topics are also covered in this thread (nice answer Jorge!)

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddcc404/1#selected_message

**Note: Unity 5.0 will allow admin to configure Unity to look at LastRedirectingParty and LastRedirectingReason fields instead, on a system-wide basis.

Hope this helps!

Rob

**Edit, Jorge and Brandon, you guys type way too fast for me :)

Guys,

Thanks for your very informative replies. I think that I read in your last post that what I am trying to do is not possible at the moment. I was really looking for a way to do this that I could configure and leave, so future changes to the dial plan or CTI route points would not require changes to the unity server. If I set up alternate numbers on the unity server I would have to changes these numbers every time the call centre scripts change. I do not control the call centre and probably will not know when it does change....

Is there any way that I can put the call before it gets to unity through a translation pattern to changes the original called party number?

I had already tried creating a new voice mail profile but had applied it to the wrong DN, so it was not working... thanks for the correction !!!!

Thanks again,

Cameron

Here is another alternate solution that may work for what you are trying to do.

Would a hunt group (hunt pilot, line group) setup work ? Then you could have the hunt pilot do hunt forward busy/no answer to VM , and have the phones that ring for this # in the associated line group.

May be easier.. depending on what you are doing.