cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General Delivery Mailbox in Unity Connection...

Michael Gerrard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on the best way to model a general mailbox for a department using Unity Connection/CMBE 6.

Essentially IPCC Express releases the call to a Hunt Group in CM that contains 3 phones (None of which have a voicemail account). The ideal/cheapest way would be for a dummy extension in CM that the hunt group points to after CFNA, and then MWI gets sent to the three phones who can then press the messages button and enter the ID number of the dummy extension to get the voicemail. So far though i've only been able to get the phones to ring out as an alternate notification device, but MWI is required instead.

Any insight would be appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Michael,

You should be able to tweak the Message Lamp Setting in CCM for the 2355 Line appearances;

For the Line Setting on 2355-

Line Settings for this Device - Changes affect only this device

Message Waiting Lamp Policy - Light and Prompt

The RED Message Lamp will then work for these Second lines on each phone.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Hope all is well with you :) Here is something to try. Lets say the Hunt Pilot number is 5000 and the Dummy Extension on the 3 phones is 2355. Set the Hunt Pilot to Forward (CFNA) to the Unity Connection Pilot #. Create a mailbox for 2355 with 5000 as an Alternate Extension. When the call routes through to Connection via the Hunt Pilot No Answer UC should see the CLID of 5000 which will then be connected to the Mailbox on 2355.

The only thing to verify is what CLID number is being passed to UC. You may need to configure the Originally Dialed number (whatever it is) as an Alternate Extension on 2355 as well.

Have you looked at using this feature?

Alternate Extensions

On the Alternate Extensions page for a user account, you can enter phone numbers to set up alternate extensions in addition to the primary extension of the user. Alternate extensions can be used for various reasons, such as handling multiple line appearances on user phones. Alternate extensions can also make calling Cisco Unity Connection from an alternate device,such as a cell phone, a home phone, or a phone at another work site more convenient.

When you specify the phone number for an alternative extension, Connection handles all calls from that number in the same way that it handles calls from a primary extension (assuming that ANI or caller ID is passed along to Connection from the phone system). This means that Connection associates the alternate phone number with the user account, and when a call comes from that number, Connection will prompt the user to enter their password and log on.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00805570b6.html#wp1040977

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob, all is well with me here, and you? Thanks for the reply!

I've used Alternate Extensions before and I agree it is a possible workaround.

I think the only possible problem with this solution is that if all three phones have different extensions (but the second line is the 2355 number - always CFWDing to Voicemail) then i'm not sure how good the MWI feature is in this instance. I was pretty sure that the MWI feature on a second line doesn't show up as clearly to the user compared to MWI on the primary line - but I may be mistaken!

I'll report back soon - cheers!

Hi Michael,

You should be able to tweak the Message Lamp Setting in CCM for the 2355 Line appearances;

For the Line Setting on 2355-

Line Settings for this Device - Changes affect only this device

Message Waiting Lamp Policy - Light and Prompt

The RED Message Lamp will then work for these Second lines on each phone.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Yup it's as I expected - unfortunately on the 2nd line you get the flashing envelope but no MWI light.

Will have a bit more of a play.

Nice one Rob, that works just fine and dandy!

Mike.

This is exactly what I am trying to do. However one question, however in your example how do I setup a mailbox for 2355. With Unity Connection and Business Edition so far as I can see the only way to create a mailbox is by creating a user and the assigning the user a device profile and then assigning a primary extension to the profile then importing the user to Unity Connection.I cant see anyway to add a mailbox just for a number.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Good stuff! It's nice to see something work out today :)

Take care,

Rob

HI Rob. I assume this same scenario can be achieved in Unity? Should I setup just as your example for Unity Connection.

Thanks and hope your keeping warm up there.

Hey Jerry,

-32 with the wind chill (brrrrrrrrr)!

Yes, this scenario is really modeled after a similar setup in Unity so you should be good to go. The CCM part will carry over as well my friend :)

Let me know if something doesn't work properly.

Take care,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the excellent work.

I however have a few suggestions..

1 . Instead of CFNA going to the voice mail pilot number, one can create a single line group that contains the voice mail pilot numbers as memebers..

eg if my hunt pilot number is 5999...

and I have 2 voice mail ports, 5000 and 5001..I will create a line group with these two numbers as members. I will then assign the hunt pilot number to these line group.

Then on each phone the CFNA will be sent to Voice mail

2. Is there a need to make 5999 an alternate extension for the mailbox 2355...??

I made the user extensions alternate extensions on 2355 only without the 5999 and it worked.

Thanks my good friend! You make things happen

Please rate all useful posts

Hi Deji,

First off, you are always welcome! Thanks for your very kind words :)

This is good! The only question I have is that calls routed via the Hunt Pilot to the Line Group members are supposed to ignore the Forwarding settings of the individual phones? This is why the CFNA is set at the Hunt Pilot level. Direct calls to the Line Group members DN's should work but not calls coming in via the Hunt #.

Perhaps the ability to tweak the Originally Dialed Number or Last Redirecting Number settings in Unity 5.x have changed the way this can work.

Just curious?

Rob

Rob,

The Lin group members of the Hunt Pilot number 5999 are the voice-mail ports for Unity. So when the message button is pressed, the CLID displays the hunt pilot number 5999 is thi case...this then uses one of the voice mail ports 5000 in this case to connect to unity.

This is why I am saying there will be no need to set CFNA on the hunt pilot to 5000, since it is already a memebr of the hunt pilot line group.

Lastly,

I still do not understand why we need to add 5999 as an alternate extension on 2355...Iunderstand for the users but why for the hunt pilot number...Reason is beacuse the hunt pilot number is already what I use normally to connect to Unity.

Thanks

Hi Deji,

Sorry man, I didn't realise we were talking about the Hunt Pilot/Line Group for Unity :)

You can disregard all useless info I referenced here. This info is all related to User Hunt/Line Groups!

Take care buddy!

Rob

Even Better Rob, now I get you clearly!!!

The Hunt pilot you were referring to is for the users/group..Oh Nice!

So a the department is called on the single number and voice mail is left for any memebr of the department using this setup.

This is ni, it frees up Unity licenses, instead of having to configure each subscriber, we use just one mailbox for all!

Smart and sweet!

Once again all hail King Rob!:))

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: