Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generate new License Request from ELM

Hello everyone,

I am having a problem generating a new License Request from ELM.

It was required to me by Cisco Licensing in order for them to provide me a new License file.

Here are the steps that I made in generating a new License Request from ELM. (See attached file ELMaccess, LR1 & LR2)

I first accessed the ELM under CUCM administration.

Select License tab> Other Fulfillment Options> Generate License Request> Save to my computer

I received a .txt file (lic_req_201.....) and that certain file was the one I sent to Cisco Licensing.

Cisco Licensing replied:

"It is still the same license request that you have here, just regenerated. What is needed is an entirely new and different ELM License request."

I am not really certain for what kind of License Request file that he wanted, or maybe there is a different procedure in doing this?

Can someone help on this?

If I am missing something or if there is another procedure on generating a new License Request kindly guide me.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards,

Art

Network Engineer
Net Pacific Philippines
CCNA R&S
CSCO12379161       

Network Engineer Net Pacific Philippines CCNA R&S CSCO12379161
3 Replies 3

mkchandak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Arturo,

Have you already provided a different set of license key to Cisco and you need to change it now ? It is difficult to understand what your ask is.

What is the hardware being used here ?

ELM generates keys depending on a few parameters. If you are using VMware, The MAC address of the NIC card is no longer used to associate the license to the server.

Instead, the license gets associated to a license MAC, which is a 12 digit HEX value created by hashing the following parameters that you configure on the server:

#
•Time zone
•NTP server 1 (or "none")
•NIC speed (or "auto")
•Hostname
•IP Address (or "dhcp")
•IP Mask (or "dhcp")
•Gateway Address (or "dhcp")
•Primary DNS (or "dhcp")
•SMTP server (or "none")
•Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

Hope this helps.    

Hi mkchandak,

Thank you for your response!

Yes we did, we actually at first generated a license request, submitted it to licensing and they provided us a license file. Now, upon the installation of the license file we received this error message "Insufficient Licenses".

We went back to cisco Licensing, a new engineer assigned to us, provided all the details he requires, our license case was approved by their Product Manager and now he requests for a "Newly Generated License Request".

I followed the same steps in generating a new License Request:

I accessed the ELM under CUCM administration.

Select License tab> Other Fulfillment Options> Generate License Request> Save to my computer

I received a .txt file (lic_req_201.....) and that certain file was the one I sent to Cisco Licensing.

Cisco Licensing replied:

"It is still the same license request that you have here, just regenerated. What is needed is an entirely new and different ELM License request."

So maybe he is referring to something other than the License Request that I have provided.

Maybe there is a different procedure in generating a "fresh and newly generated License Request"

If you know a step-by-step procedure in achieving this, please guide me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Art

Network Engineer
Net Pacific Philippines
CCNA R&S
CSCO12379161

Network Engineer Net Pacific Philippines CCNA R&S CSCO12379161

Thanks for the additional info. Considering if nothing has changed from a setup prospective which was used earlier to generate the license request file, I dont think it will change.

If this is a VMware setup, then you might want to change the value of one the following and set it back to the old value.

This should help create a new hex value for licensing:

•Time zone

•NIC speed (or "auto")

•Hostname

•IP Address (or "dhcp")

•IP Mask (or "dhcp")

•Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

•SMTP server (or "none")

•Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country) •Time zone
•NIC speed (or "auto")
•Hostname
•IP Address (or "dhcp")
•IP Mask (or "dhcp")
•Primary DNS (or "dhcp")
•SMTP server (or "none")
•Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: