cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I change the default greeting back

ed.crawford
Level 1
Level 1

I have CUCMBE with Unity Connection.  I wanted to create an IVR, so I created a Call Handler and recorded "press1 for sales etc".  The problem now is when someone calls any of my extensions and the call is sent to voice main the message says " Sorry, Extention" "press 1 for sales etc" and then the call is terminated.  How can I fix this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ed,

Not sure here, but it almost sounds like you may have set up a new "Routing Rule"

if you did you need to move it down the selection list below the default routing rules.

Just a thought

Rob

View solution in original post

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In Unity Connection check your call forwarding route rules.  These are under:

Call Management->Call Routing->Forward Routing Rules

The default configuration has two rules:

1. Attempt Forward:  There are no parameters on Dialed/Calling/Forwarding etc. and the "Send Call to" parameter is the "Attempt Forward" Conversation.

2. Opening Greeting:  There are no parameters on Dialed/Calling/Forwarding etc. and the "Send  Call to" parameter is the "Opening Greeting" Call Handler.

Based on your description I suspect that you most likely need to modify rule #1.  The other likely scenario is that you created a new forward rule for your call handler and stuck it in the first order position.  You need to click on the "change order" button and re-arrange your rules  OR you can edit your rule and specify an appropriate value for Dialed Number, Calling Number, or Forwarding number.

If you modified anything on the CUCM side of the config (like the Voicemail Profile for example) then you will want to undo whatever you did there.

I am speculating here.  If I am on target, great.  If not, then you need to provide more data on your situation.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ed,

Not sure here, but it almost sounds like you may have set up a new "Routing Rule"

if you did you need to move it down the selection list below the default routing rules.

Just a thought

Rob

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In Unity Connection check your call forwarding route rules.  These are under:

Call Management->Call Routing->Forward Routing Rules

The default configuration has two rules:

1. Attempt Forward:  There are no parameters on Dialed/Calling/Forwarding etc. and the "Send Call to" parameter is the "Attempt Forward" Conversation.

2. Opening Greeting:  There are no parameters on Dialed/Calling/Forwarding etc. and the "Send  Call to" parameter is the "Opening Greeting" Call Handler.

Based on your description I suspect that you most likely need to modify rule #1.  The other likely scenario is that you created a new forward rule for your call handler and stuck it in the first order position.  You need to click on the "change order" button and re-arrange your rules  OR you can edit your rule and specify an appropriate value for Dialed Number, Calling Number, or Forwarding number.

If you modified anything on the CUCM side of the config (like the Voicemail Profile for example) then you will want to undo whatever you did there.

I am speculating here.  If I am on target, great.  If not, then you need to provide more data on your situation.

Regards,
Bill

That's it, great.  Thanks for you help.

Do you have a step by step instruction on how to set up an IVR (Welcome, press 1 for sales, 2 for service etc. then send call to a hunt group depending on what is pressed)?  I created a call handler and assigned extention 700.  I then record a greeting and set the inputs  to go to the apprpo pilot points.

When I dial 700 it says "Sorry" then my recorded greeting.  When I press 1 it says "Wait whire I transfer your call" and thendelivers the call.  How can I get rid of teh two system messages?

Thanks

Ed,

Every situation varies and everyone has a different approach, here is a quick run down of my approach:

Call Routing:  You need to get the caller to the call handler.

There are two main options here.  One is to use translation patterns and the other

is to use a "dummy" or "phantom" device to redirect calls to voicemail.  I prefer to use the "phantom"

device.  Further, I use CTI route points for this because I can create a logical device in one place and put all such voicemail application rerouting DNs on that one CTI.  So, in your case maybe something like this:

Dev Type: CTI Route Point

Device Name:  VMApps_CTI

Create a Line:

• DN: 700
  • Partition: 
  • VM Profile:  A VM profile that points to your Unity Connection ports
  • Configure Call Forward All (CFA) on the line and check the box to "Voicemail"

At this point we are assuming that your VM profile is setup to use a 3-digit mask and that it OK in your environment to presen 3-digits as an extension to Unity Connection.

In Unity Connection, you have a couple of methods available to you to route calls to this call handler.  You can create call routing (Direct or Forward) rules where you specify key call information elements (i.e. Called, Calling, Redirect party) and trigger the appropriate application.  I try to avoid this (because I am lazy) and I have found that if you use the redirect method I describe above AND you assign an extension to your call handler (as you said you have) THEN Unity's standard (default out of the box) forwarding rule will send the call to your call handler.  So, to clarify:

Unity Connection Call Handler:

Name: MyCallHandler

Extension: 700

Schedule: 

Caller Input Menu: 

Greetings:

There are several ways to record a greeting.  Personally, I like to use Cisco Unity Greetings administrator (CUGA).  To use this you need to setup a few things on your system.  First, read the following to get familiar with what CUGA is and how to use it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag150.html#wp1049797

In your environment, may you would have something like this:

On the CUCM:

Dev Type: CTI Route Point

Device Name:  VMApps_CTI

Create  a Line:

• DN: 777 
  • Partition: 
  • VM Profile:  A VM profile that points to your Unity Connection  ports
  • Configure Call Forward All (CFA) on the line and check the box to  "Voicemail"

On Unity Connection:

1.  Create a routing rule:  Under Call Management->Call Routing->Forward Routing Rules

• Click on Add New
  • Use the following values:
    • Display Name: CUGA
    • Send Calls to:  Conversation -> Greetings Administrator
    • Routing Rules (Add a new routing rule)
      • Forwarding Station Equals 777 (using the example)
  • Save

2. CUGA actually uses "ownership" privileges to allow a mailbox user to manage the greetings.  You assign ownership when you create the Call Handler (i.e. the Call Handler with extension 700 in your case).  So, edit the call handler and make sure that the owner is a subscriber that has a mailbox on the system.  For example, if you have a mailbox on the system and your alias is "ecrawford" then add "ecrawford" as the owner.

You can add owners to a call handler by going to the call handler in Unity Connection and then go to Edit->Call Handler Owners.  You should be able to follow it from there to add owners.

Record the Greeting:

You are almost done.  Now, call the CUGA steering number (777 in our example).  You should receive a system greeting that says something like "welcome to Cisco Unity Greetings Administrator...".  Follow the prompts closely and you should be good to go.  The general idea is that you authenticate yourself with your subscriber extension and mailbox password.  Then you identify the call handler you want to edit by providing the extension number (700 in your case).  Then you can record greetings standard, closed, alternate, etc.

As far as recording greetings, there are multiple methods.  I just like CUGA.  You may have already found your own preference.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Ed/Bill,

Fantastic answer Bill! Really great and full of excellent tips +5 points for sure.

Here is the second part of your question Ed;

In CUCM-BE 7.0 and later the ability to turn these On/Off is built-in like in the newest Unity versions.

Disabling the "Wait While I Transfer Your Call" Prompt

By default, Cisco Unity Connection plays the "Wait while I transfer your call" prompt when it transfers a call to an extension. Some callers do not like hearing the prompt, and for this reason, you may want to specify that Connection does not play it.

You configure whether or not the prompt will be played on the Edit Transfer Rule page for a specific user or call handler transfer rule.

Release Notes for Cisco Unity Connection Release 7.0(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/release/notes/701cucrn.html#wp81767

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks alot for your help Rob.  It was much appreciated.

Great.  Thanks alot for your help Bill.

Hi Experts,

I have same problem mentioned above and solution but i didnt understand the solution....ok i would like to explain u the problem i have....I am using CUCM BE 7.1.3..Every thing configured with CUCM and Unity Connection.Problem:When they call main No opening greetings plays and who ever knows the ext they dial and it routes the call to that ext....respected ext is not lifting/Busy call it should go to voice mail but its going to opening greeting..... every thing what can be done by me i did but no use to i need experts help to resolve this.....so pls assist me how to get rid of this...coz of this productive day and time getting spoiled....pls help me asap........its very urgent pls..........thanks in advance.........looking fw for replies...........bye.....

If I follow your issue, it sounds like the problem is that calls redirected back to voicemail are not correctly integrating with a user's voicemail box. This is interesting since the Unity system clearly recognized the user's extension (as programmed in Unity) or else it wouldn't transfer to the end user's phone line in the first place.

Given this information, I would suspect one of two things. First: the Voicemail profile configuration. Can you look at the Voicemail Profile assigned to the line(s) you are testing and see if the mailbox mask is set incorrectly?

Just as some background. When Unity Connection receives a forwarded call from the CUCM system, it uses the "original called party" or "redirect party" information field to identify the end user's mailbox. This number needs to match either the primary or any alternte extension programmed on the Unity Connection system. If you are masking the number incorrectly (via Voicemail Profile) then integration will likely fail.

The second issue (related to this thread) is that you have something interfering with the default "Attempt Forward" rule. I lay out the specific things to check and how to remedy this type of issue earlier in this thread. If that isn't working for you, then check the voicemail profile. If neither fit the bill, then let us know.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks a lot for ur quick response.....ok what i have to check is voice mail profile rigth.....ok let me check and get back to u....

Hi no i checked with voice mail profile but no use its giving me same greetings with out going to use voice mail or use recorded message saying that "hi u have rached to shams voice mail i am not avilable right now so leave ur name and contact details.........."

Check the following:

1. Ensure that the subscriber's primary extension or secondary extension matches the line appearance on the phone.

2. Test a call from IP Phone to IP Phone and allow the call to go to voicemail. See if that works. If it does, what in your dial plan is different between the IP Phone-to-IP Phone call and the Unity-to-IP Phone call?

If IP Phone-to-IP Phone calls fail as well, then you really need to look at your forwarding rules. Post screen shots, configs, etc. if you need help interpreting.

You may want to actually look at traces and logs to see what is happening as well. Though, I believe this is a configuration issue. Take a look at this tool:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/PortStatusMonitorCUC7x/PortStatusMonitorCUC7x.html

Read the "Tool Help".

Regards,

Bill

Hi it got resolved it was configuration  issue and i changed it now its working fine....i did changes in fw calling and done.....thanks for ur time and helping me to finding out and resolving the problem....thanks agian.......bye take care all..........

Glad to hear it. Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: