cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can we integrate the Lync 2013 with our current CUCM9.1?

jianjiang
Level 1
Level 1

We are considering to add one Lync server into our CUCM cluster for some CUCM users , that means those users of Lync have been already the users of CUCM, they all can call and communicate with jabber each other. but they want to use Lync instead of Jabber to communicate.

how may we infrustrate and configure it?

1.what kind of server of Lync may we use?

2.should we re-configure those Dial Plan, CSS, Translation Pattern  for them etc.?

3.how do the domains connect bewteen Lync and CUCM?

4.need we do some configuration between Lync and our Cisco Presence Server?

thanks for your answer!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are two descrete integrations possible and they have entirely separate configuration efforts

1. Instant Messaging & Presence is available through intra-domain partitioning. A user can be Lync or Jabber, not both.
  2. Voice requires a SIP trunk and one of two configurations depending what user experience you want:
    1. If you want the user to have an extension on both CUCM and Lync then you need SIP dual-forking
    2. If  you want the user to have an extension solely on one platform or the  other you need to build route patterns (or the Lync equivelent) pointing  one system to the other.

Integration between Lync and the CUP/IM&P server is only required if you want to do Remote Call Control.

Any Lync-side questions such as "what kind of server for Lync may we use" needs to be asked on a Microsoft forum.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are two descrete integrations possible and they have entirely separate configuration efforts

1. Instant Messaging & Presence is available through intra-domain partitioning. A user can be Lync or Jabber, not both.
  2. Voice requires a SIP trunk and one of two configurations depending what user experience you want:
    1. If you want the user to have an extension on both CUCM and Lync then you need SIP dual-forking
    2. If  you want the user to have an extension solely on one platform or the  other you need to build route patterns (or the Lync equivelent) pointing  one system to the other.

Integration between Lync and the CUP/IM&P server is only required if you want to do Remote Call Control.

Any Lync-side questions such as "what kind of server for Lync may we use" needs to be asked on a Microsoft forum.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

thank you for the explanation.

if I will do the 2, i think the 2. offer BOTH the service of IM & Presence and Voice. whether the users may use both of Lync and Jabber?

SIP dual forking allows you to get incoming calls to the Cisco DN to ring both CUCM-registered phones as well as the Lync client. This does not work for Lync-to-Lync calls which don't touch CUCM.

As far as the IM&P side of things goes, the user must exist on only one platform. Either they use Jabber or they use Lync, not both. In fact, installing both clients on the same PC isn't even supported as both attempt to register to the same APIs for Office contact card presence/click-to-call.

thx,i will try it, the detail will be posted later.

Hi jianjiang,

Did you try to setup this scenario ? 

Hi Jonathan-

Thanks for your clear explanation in the two different options for this scenario.

Can you provide any guidance on how to accomplish voice scenario 2 - having one extension in both systems?

This sounds like the ideal scenario for my company - but I can't figure out how to even start on this.  How do you avoid giving extensions to users on both sides? 

We have Cisco phones and would just like to be able to also offer the full enterprise voice feature of the lync client without convoluting everything by adding a separate extension and confusing everyone with that.

jianjiang
Level 1
Level 1

hi Jonathan

i am sorry to ask you for help again.

if i choose the 2. whether we need do 1. again?

I don't belive cisco supports lync 2013 for intradomain federation, at least none of the documents refer to 2013 and I tried it quick in a lab and so far have not gotten it to work ( thought work in progress )

CCIE-Collaboration #24527
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: