cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I trace a dialed 911 phone call to the originating phone?

arthurloveslupe
Level 1
Level 1

My company has just deployed a CME at a new location and we had one user call 911. I know this is a regular occurance but my manager has asked me to find out which phone it came from? I can see from the logs what time it happened but how do I trace back to the user who made the call? Any useful commands would be appreciated as I am new to call manager.

Thank you!

000280: May 13 16:09:20.730 PDT: %ISDN-6-CONNECT: Interface Serial0/0/0:9 is now connected to 911 N/A
000281: May 13 16:09:22.206 PDT: %ISDN-6-DISCONNECT: Interface Serial0/0/0:9  disconnected from 911 , call lasted 1 seconds
000282: May 13 16:09:42.786 PDT: %ISDN-6-CONNECT: Interface Serial0/0/0:0 is now connected to N/A N/A

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you did not logged CDR to a server or even memory buffer, it's now too late to know and the information is lost.

While it is too late to get that information this time around; be prepared next time and implement a CDR solution using a Radius server.  Here is a link that may help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/cdr/developer/guide/cdrdev.html

Good luck

Radius is too complicated for small business users. Here's a simpler solution:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e72.shtml

j.sillers
Level 5
Level 5

errant 911 calls can become annoying and expensive once the police decide to charge you for dispatches.  The only real way to prevent this is to have the user stay on the line and tell the operator that it was a mistake. Very few places require a dispatch in that situation but if the users are embarrassed or scared then simply hang-up on the 911 operator then they usually callback or dispatch or both.

Here is a dirty way to keep track of this problem and it will only cost you a phone.

Set up a Line on a phone and call it extension 911, then another for extension 9911.

Set RNA to 2 seconds or 3 seconds then forward to 8.911

Set 8.911 (or a variation that does not step on your dial plan) to strip the 8. and call 911

Now when someone calls 911 or 9911 it will be recorded on your emergency phones Missed Call log.

Now comes the real dirty part.  Call the user back and ask if they are ok.  Then explain to them, innocently, that it costs a lot of money when you hang-up on the 911 Operator. Then tell them you are glad they are ok and not in danger and that lots of people make this error (empathy). I guarantee you that this person will not make the same mistake again once they know they can be tracked.  Internal shame is stronger than external embarrassment.

Now go look at the old Berbee InformaCast product or the IPCelerate product or any host of other E911 features that will send an immediate email when 911 is called, complete with Caller Info and time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: