cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I transfer Unity system key from old to new server?

jeman85
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unity Server 3.1.3 , Because of hardware problems, I would like to build a new/separate Unity server .

Can I transfer the system key from the old server to the new/separate Unity server? If yes, how? Will I have problems with licensing?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The activation code will add new features or version support or licensed seats to your dongle - it's not related to the server at all in 3.1(3) - it only updates the values on the dongle itself so there should be no reason to have to get a new code for your new server.

View solution in original post

If you just want to move Unity from one server to another you don't need to be concerned with the activation code. The activation code is just used to program the dongle (we send them out blank) but once it is programmed it is all set. So -- all you need to do is move the dongle. The dongle doesn't get matched up with the uninstall of the server or anything like that.

Thanks,

Keith

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In 3.x we still used the hardward dongle (either a parallel port or a USB dongle) - the license is contained on that dongle and you can transfer it to another machine no problem - you can use DiRT to export/import you're Unity data into a new 3.1(3) installation on a new server.

With 4.x the key is software based and is tied to the NIC on the server you install Unity on - in that case you have to get an updated license file - but in 3.1(3) that wasn't an issue.

The home page for DiRT can be found here (be sure to use the latest versions):

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

Thank you for your reply.

How about the activation code? Can I use the activation code used in the old server to the new server? Or should I ask for a new one?

The contents of the activation code file are similar to the following:

[UpgradeLicense]

EncryptionType=0

EncryptionData=QYL5GCEH8S17RKBC1IBQQ2EB2PJBVSCOW8GEV1P1YABLOEZFEV7PQYC5VCEY5EV3P

SerialNumber=106052

ComponentVersion=91

Thanks,

Jeman85

The activation code will add new features or version support or licensed seats to your dongle - it's not related to the server at all in 3.1(3) - it only updates the values on the dongle itself so there should be no reason to have to get a new code for your new server.

So I just copy the activation code from the old server to the new server ?

Thanks

If you just want to move Unity from one server to another you don't need to be concerned with the activation code. The activation code is just used to program the dongle (we send them out blank) but once it is programmed it is all set. So -- all you need to do is move the dongle. The dongle doesn't get matched up with the uninstall of the server or anything like that.

Thanks,

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: