cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many TFTP servers should I have turned on in UCM?

gonzalezel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7 server cluster on UCM running version 8.5x with over 3,500 devices.   My question is should I have TFTP turned on on all my subscribers and if not where should it be turned on? Maybe just a server and a subscriber? 

Thanks in advance for any replies.

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In large clusters I always turn on 2 TFTP servers, I never make them dedicated though and use my backup call processors for TFTP.

HTH,

Chris

I think the SRNDs recommend dedicated TFTP for over 1250 phones.

In real life, it's no big deal. Some deployments we have TFTP/MOH dedicated VMs, but often we don't.

If a phone can't find the TFTP server when it boots, it will use cached data and register anyway, so fault tolerance isn't a major issue.

During upgrades you generally have plenty of time pencilled into a maintenance window so unless minimising endpoint downtime is a big priority there's not much to be gained.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

with the deployment size that you have, i think having two tftp servers and possibly running media services ont he TFTP servers would suffice and leave the publisher without call processing, tftp, media and tftp duties leaving you 4 subscriber servers across 3500 phones which is more than sufficient.

hope this helps.