cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change Unity domain name?

jaywydra
Level 1
Level 1

I need to change the domain name on my single Unity server running 4.0(5). Does this require reloading the server from scratch?

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no way to change the domain name of a standing Unity server like that without a reinstall. You can use DiRT to get a backup and restore it when you're done but you'll have to go through the install to make the change.

Jeff,

Do you see any issues w/ the following? DiRT backup> copy license file> uninstall Unity> change computer name> join new Domain> reinstall Unity>Import DiRT backup

StrikerTS
Level 1
Level 1

I apologize I can't say specifically how to do it because I was working on something else at the time, you can change the domain name on a Unity server, we did it about 3 weeks ago. It's STRONGLY not recommended, our rep told us a "if you DID want to do it you COULD" situation. Do you have a contact you could call?

Well... I'm finding this rather hard to understand. If you did this then you hacked up the registry and ran through our SQL database and hacked up a bunch of stuff and touched all the DC references etc... etc...

If you actually did that - more power to you. But there's a ton of references when you change the server name that screw up SQL and Unity (and if Exchange is on box there's simply no way this can be done) - and if security/encryption services are installed, you're also in trouble.

I highly (highly) recommend you steer clear of trying to hack a domain/server name change on your own. It's just asking for trouble.

degg
Level 1
Level 1

Best procedure is to DIRT backup, then restore to new server.

As in teh article you must do it to the same version. Question is now, is you unity VMO, im assuming it is? Becuase then you have exchange to worry about there. the license file is based off the MAC of the NIC card, so you dont have to worry about that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: