Helpful
Replies

How to configure call display for external calls

DOUG PENNER
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM 7.1

7941 phone

I would like a particular phone to display nothing or unknown when making external calls. If I remove the external phone number mask, it still displays the directory number. I can change the external phone number mask to another number, or even all 0s, but then it displays that on the top of the screen of the phone on which it is applied. Is there another way to do this?

12 Replies 12

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you're asking are two completely different things

One is to now show anything on the phone, and another to not show anything as ANI when calling PSTN/internally.

What do you need???

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I am asking for one thing. I want to configure a phone so that when it calls externally, the CALLED phone sees "unknown" or nothing on the call display.

The second part of the message was explaining that I tried to do this by modifying the external phone number mask which worked but had unwanted side effects on the CALLING phone.

To rephrase the question...Is there a way to modify the outgoing caller id in a way that does not change the appearance on the calling phone?

That seems like what I'm looking for. I'll try it out and let you know.

Did this work? Reason why I am asking is there are a ton of ways to do what your asking for so I want to just check to see if this is resolved.

No. I haven't gotten it to work. I've been trying transformation patterns with no luck. I didn't try route patterns because I have too many of them and I only want to do this for specific callers.

Making it show up as unknown will be a problem unless you have an h323 or sip gateway. I am assuming it is MGCP?

Yes, it's MGCP. "Unknown" would be best but if that's not possible, I'm ok with making it display another number. I know I can change the external phone number mask but I don't like that it then displays that number on the phone.

I don't know what version you are running. On the MGCP configuration page for the PRI, what happens when you go down to outbound calls and change the Calling line ID parameter from default to restricted? 

I assume you may have tried this, but this is supposed to restrict outbound callerid. 

And to answer your question, Sip and H323 have more granular controls. This would be resolved already if we had them. 

I don't have Calling line ID. I have Calling Party Presentation. If I change that, nothing changes. I still see the calling number. (Maybe this change won't apply until there are no active calls on the gateway?) If it did change, I assume that would be for all calls, not just ones for the specific phones where I want this.

If you change settings on the MGCP gateway, it will affect all calls using that as an egress path.  There are a number of ways to do this but it's going to be very difficult to do on a call by call basis, period.  Transformations can be applied in several places along the call path with some taking higher precedence over others.  As you found, if you change the external mask on the phone then that changes the display the user sees at the top right of the phone.  Honestly, this is the EASIEST way to do what you want to do and is maintainable with really only the one negative side affect (from your perspective).  The other way to do this that's probably the most straightforward is to use H323 on the gateway and use IOS translation.

D. Hailey

Is there a way to do it on a per call basis?