cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to convert a Unity system key to a license file

jeman85
Level 1
Level 1

How do I convert the Unity 3.1 System Key ( dongle) to a license file ?

Basically the situation is that, I need to transfer the Cisco Unity 3.1 to a new server , and also transfer the NIC card, but the USB port seems to be broken.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The dongle is all you need in Unity 3.x to get unity to work. The dongle is not tied to the MAC-address.

Unity 4.x is a different - the license file is tied to the MAC-address of the NIC. You can open the text file and see an entry such as "HOSTID=0002a5932637"

Your plan is to move existing 3.x install to new server. Upgrade new server to 4.x. Install license on new server. As such, the MAC-address of the new server is what you need to send cisco for the new Unity 4.x license.

H. M.

View solution in original post

Nope. Unity 3.X and before uses a dongle. Unity 4.X and later uses a license file.

Thanks,

Keith

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How do I convert the Unity 3.1 System Key

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_qanda_item09186a008011a6c5.shtml

Q. How are existing license keys being converted when an older version of Cisco Unity upgrades to Cisco Unity 4.0?

A. The license data for each existing Cisco Unity system has been loaded into a table that can be accessed by the system that generates FLEXlm licenses. The customer will register on the upgrade web site, supplying the server MAC address and the existing Cisco Unity key serial number on the dongle. The license configuration associated with that dongle will be transferred to the FLEXlm license with the software version noted as 4.0.

The following information is required to during web registration:

•The MAC address (physical address) for the network interface card (NIC) in the Cisco Unity computer

•The product authorization key (PAK) in the Cisco Unity compact disc wallet

•The serial number of the currently installed system key

•The currently installed system key code

•The dongle will then be marked as having been upgraded so that each dongle can only be upgraded once. The dongle is also deactivated during the upgrade process. However, customers will still be able to use keydump to obtain the serial number.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

need to transfer the Cisco Unity 3.1 to a new server

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Will you be installing Unity 3.1 on the new server and then do a Dirt-Restore?

I am not sure why you would need to transfer the NIC. You would provide Cisco with the MAC address of the new server.

Is the USB port broken on the new server? The MCS' have two USB ports. How did you determine it was broken? Did you try plugging in a USB-mouse?

H. M.

>Will you be installing Unity 3.1 on the new server >and then do a Dirt-Restore?

Yes I will .

>I am not sure why you would need to transfer the >NIC. You would provide Cisco with the MAC address >of the new server.

Correct me if I am wrong but, isn't it that the license is binded with the MAC address of a server, so if I transferred/restored all data to a new server with a different NIC , license-wise Unity wouldn't work since the MAC address is different from the registered one ?

The dongle is all you need in Unity 3.x to get unity to work. The dongle is not tied to the MAC-address.

Unity 4.x is a different - the license file is tied to the MAC-address of the NIC. You can open the text file and see an entry such as "HOSTID=0002a5932637"

Your plan is to move existing 3.x install to new server. Upgrade new server to 4.x. Install license on new server. As such, the MAC-address of the new server is what you need to send cisco for the new Unity 4.x license.

H. M.

>The dongle is all you need in Unity 3.x to get >unity to work. The dongle is not tied to the MAC->address.

Is it possible to convert the Unity system key to a license key without upgrading the version?

I read the link below and I am not sure if I can accomplish this or not

----

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_qanda_item09186a00800

94ce5.shtml#q7

----

Regards,

jeman85

Nope. Unity 3.X and before uses a dongle. Unity 4.X and later uses a license file.

Thanks,

Keith