cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to do the unity backup

applegreen
Level 1
Level 1

Just be assigned to support a new system, a Unity 4.04 VM stand alone , the hard drive is too small, the D drive keeps running out of space,no network backup ever made. my question, I was told one of backup method from Microsoft can address this problem, when the backup is done, the backup will delete files from unity box. my question is what is the right way to do the backup? do A exchange incremental/differental back up and do a Dirt Backup at the same time OR Dirt tool can do it both? thanks

3 Replies 3

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is eating up the disk space on d-drive? If it is the exchange transactional logs, the quickest way is to do a ntbackup of exchange to clear the logs although this method of backup is not supported for unity recovery; however Microsoft may be able to help you at your own costs.

DiRT backup will not clear the transactional logs.

If you are not concerned about exchange backups, you could implement Circular logging on exchange and that will prevent exchange from filling up the disk space. The caveat is that if you do a weekly backup, you can only recover to the point of backup and NOT to the point of failure.

hi, Hinho, thank you ,you helped a lot. one more question, the following tools are cisco recommended

Veritas Backup Exec for MS Windows 2000 versions 8.5 and later. (recommended)

NetBackup versions 4.5 and later.

if I use those tools to do the backup, are those supported by unity recovery?

and if I enable the circular logging, the transaction logs will be deleted automatically or I have to delete them manually, thanks

Veritas is approved. If you have a problem with Unity recovery, the support is through Veritas. However it has been tested with Unity so that is why it is approved.

see Veritas Backup and Restore for Cisco Unity (3.1.5, 4.0) on the ICS7750 http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps967/products_tech_note09186a008011a978.shtml

I enabled circular logging in my lab exchange server (from the storage group) and the files did not get removed. Neither did restarting the information store. However the size does not increase at this point.

As I don't like manually deleting files, I ran NTBackup to backup the Information Store and the files were then deleted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: