cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to find direct lines in CUCM

chinpohpang851
Level 1
Level 1

How to find out numbers of direct lines and which directory number is DID assigned  in CUCM?

CUCM version 7.1.5.30000-1

10 Replies 10

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends on how the direct lines are configured. Check your translation patterns (Call Routing > Translation Pattern in CUCM admin). You may have one pattern for each DID. You may have a wildcard pattern that matches multiple DIDs such as 1234567XXX. Click on the translation pattern and look at the Called Party Transform Mask. This will tell you which DN the pattern is translated to. This translation could also be done with a translation rule on your gateway. Multiple places it can be done. Will have to start narrowing down. Also may need to check with your carrier regarding which DIDs you own.

Brandon

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're asking if you can ask CUCM a report for the DIDs, that's impossible, the concept of DID is abstract and CUCM is unaware of it. CUCM has no idea of what a DID is, he's just aware of DN/patterns.

You would need to have a list of the DIDs you own to begin with, then look at the GW that handles them to look at the configuration you have and if you're doing any digit manipulation, how many digits you get from the telco, etc.

Then you move on to CUCM with that info to determine how they're routed in CUCM, if you do any other digit manipulation, etc. to finally determine what is the actual number on the phone.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

franciscofossa
Level 1
Level 1

You probably are looking for the External Phone Number Mask, which is in the Line Appearance of the Device/Phone you are searching after.

It is a common misconception from Cisco not to try to understand the system for the casual administrator.

The only table that has it is devicenumplanmap under e164mask

You can search for it via

run sql select * from devicenumplanmap

@franciscofossa wrote:

It is a common misconception from Cisco not to try to understand the system for the casual administrator.

In what way do you mean that it's a common misconception from Cisco?

@franciscofossa wrote:

The only table that has it is devicenumplanmap under e164mask

You can search for it via

run sql select * from devicenumplanmap

Depending on how big the system is I would not recommend you to run that query as it's pretty generic and can produce a ton of output.

@franciscofossa wrote:

You probably are looking for the External Phone Number Mask, which is in the Line Appearance of the Device/Phone you are searching after.

There is no guarantee that the EPNM would be filled in, for example if you have a +E.164 dial plan it's not an absolute to have this populated.

Response Signature

I said "probably" because I have seen this many time. In my many years of experience I have seen that casual administrators don't keep track of DIDs, unless a translation is created in IOS or CUCM incoming, and not even then, because they ignore what else are free. Big companies buy bulks of numbers, then don't use a lot, sometimes.

It is a common, real life problem, always asking "do we have any free DID" etc.

Also some users think their extension is their DID, and then identify their problem via the DID, and not the extension, especially now that many people work from home, use remote profiles, share lines, etc.

It just simply takes times just to identify who is using the EPNM as DID.

The original answer from Jaime Valencia (Cisco) is conceptual: like 'go study the system'. He may be right, but in the end, that is not a solution. In my view it is a shortcoming from the system, that I cannot for example list and search properties by line appearance in the web interface.

That being said, many installations use the EPNM to represent ANI to the trunk/gateway. But there is no simple way to check that. Of course, I am still to find the first small deployment using Calling Party Transformations into the Gateways... not a chance.

The misconception from Cisco comes from expecting only the best practice, maybe e164 and sip all across the board, and number globalization. The misconception is on the understanding of casual administrators, who cannot use this, don't understand it, are using old system with just a short extensions. And get frustrated sometimes with how difficult is to do the simplest things.

BTW, instead of criticizing a command, please propose a better command. For example: Instead of select *, select "1234567890" to find this line appearance pkid. Or better, propose a better inner join command with the other table to show this with the device and extension.

Extra solution to this problem: Export the lines or device in bulk administration and analyze the CSV.

Again, not simple.

Exactly. Thank you. 

johngalek
Level 1
Level 1

a DID to DN map is the most basic of Telecom attributes... In any Telecommunications system except for Cisco its the simplest of things to locate, however with Cisco you need a degree with a Minor in SQL to do the most basic thing, its quite formidable.

Not really that hard to find in my opinion.

image.png

Simply go to the webUI and select Call Routing > Directory Number

Response Signature

That's the DN number it does not show the DID- Am I missing something here?  They want to see the DID number and who its currently assigned to.  A downloadable list of DID/DN association would be nice.  Is this possible?

It does if you use E.164 directory numbers as we do.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: