cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to put delay in opening greeting?

grhodes
Level 1
Level 1

When you call in to Unity from outside and you expect to hear "Enter you ID, followed by #" the first part of the message is being cut off. All our users hear is "ur ID, followed by #". How can I add about 2 or 3 seconds of silence at the start of the message?

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's actually not the opening greeting, that's the sign in conversation - but that's neither here nor there.

You can introduce a delay before Unity starts "talking" for any conversation you hear when you call into it by changing the DelayBeforeOpening value in the switch configuration file. You didn't indicate your version but if you're at a fairly recent version of Unity 4x you can just go to the Tools Depot iand in the Switch Integration Tools section go to the "Edit Switch Unity" - this will open the config file currently in use on your box (if multiple integrations are in use this gets a bit trickier). In there on the "Incoming Calls" tab you'll see a value for "Delay before greeting". It's in seconds. I believe after changing this you need to restart Unity before it takes effect (most MIU related settings require this). This will force Unity to answer the incoming call, wait that many seconds and then start processing it. Should do what you want. Just don't crank it up too far as people may hear a chunk of "dead air" after we go off hook...

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Sorry, we are on 4.1(1). I apologize for being a newb at Unity, I am taking a UCSAE class in 2 weeks so I hope to learn more soon.

I'll try what you said and post the results soon.

Again, thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

- Geoff

Do you know if this will work the opposite way, meaning can I use "edit switch" to decrease the amount of time that Unity will prompt you to enter your user ID after going to "sign in"? I mapped the # key to the sign-in prompt becasue that is what users are used to in their old system. Now when you hit # as opposed to * Unity waits around 3-4 seconds to say "enter your ID" I noticed there is a "milliseconds to wait before additinal digits" and the default is 1500ms will adjusting this fix it?

I'm assuming you're at a fairly recent version of Unity - if not, this wont apply but you didn't indicate your version so I'm just rolling with it.

Actually, what you're likely running into there is that # is a special character during a greeting, the interdigit delay (the 1500 ms you mention there) does not come into play.

What's happening is the # tells the Unity server that this may be another system calling with a call to "hand off" - in other words the cross box login and cross box transfer features in Unity all start with a sequence of DTMF that starts with a #. It'll wait to see if there's anything after that # - 5 seconds is a little long but it does wait for a couple seconds anyway.

You can try this if you still need to use # as a login sequence from a greeting. Go into the Advanced Settings Tool (in the Tools Depot on your desktop) and go to the "Networking - Disabled Cross Server Incoming Processing" and set it to 1. Then try to call in and see if # doesn't process a bit quicker.

Of course if you're using cross server login or cross server transfers with multiple Unity servers at your site, then this wont be an option.

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. We are using a Unity Bridge for Octel analog networking. The Unity bridge uses SMTP as opposed to DTMF when transferring messages from Octel to Unity so am I should be safe with adjusting this setting, agreed?

Yes - the # DTMF handling sequence wont come into play with Bridge networking. Only for cross box login and cross box transfers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: