Hi, after the last Exchange 2003 update, unity stop to deliver voice mail from an unknow extension (extension not associate with a unity subcriber). If the msg is leave from a internal phone, all is ok... The log that I got is from "AvUMRSyncSvr". It's look like a permission problem, but I know know how to fix it. I'm running Unity 4.05 UM with Exchange 2003.
22:00:04:107,-1,-1,-1,-1,LogMgr,-1,diag Diag file opened 2006-06-15 22:00:04
22:34:22:482,AvDiagnostics_MC,1433,5752,-1,,AlCommon,10,CAvMALExMessage,HandleErrorDetails,You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user.,e:\Views\cs_CU22.214.171.124\un_Doh1\MalMapi\MALEx\AvMALExMessage.cpp,2479,The operation completed successfully. ,00001678H,00B314C8H
22:34:22:513,AvDiagnostics_MC,1433,5752,-1,,AlCommon,10,CAvMALExMessage,HandleErrorDetails,You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user.,e:\Views\cs_CU126.96.36.199\un_Doh1\MalMapi\MALEx\AvMALExMessage.cpp,2479,The operation completed successfully. ,00001678H,00B314C8H
22:34:22:514,CiscoUnity_UMR,113,5752,-1,,-1,-1,Message de 4504468720,francis.labelle,0x00001678
22:34:22:513,AvDiagnostics_MC,437,5752,-1,,UMR,14,SendUMRMessages() returned : 800404DC,190,e:\Views\cs_CU188.8.131.52\un_Conv3\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp,0x00001678
run the DBWALKER utility. (for starters)
choose no options, just run with default settings.
let it generate a report and address the issues.
show us if there's something you dont know.
you may then want to run the permissions wizard to assure your exchange permissions, etc. are set correctly or fixed if they are broken.
(you can get the latest permissionWizard for your version of unity at http://answermonkey.net)
I already ran the permission wizard, and all is ok. It look like a problem with the DCOM setting on the exchange box.... Do you have the correct setting of the "DCOM security parameters" for exchange 2003 ?
I got this error in my application EV:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: CiscoUnity_UMR
Event Category: Erreur de thread UMR
Event ID: 113
A message with the subject:
Message from 5145551212
to recipient bob.john could not be delivered and was moved to the failed directory. This can occur for several reasons: the recipient mailbox may be disabled or inaccessible, Cisco Unity may be having trouble connecting with the partner server, or the Cisco Unity messaging component may not be properly configured. If this condition persists, contact Cisco TAC. 0x00001804
Rerun the Message store configuration wizard. That might fix your problem.
What it seems like to me, something happened to the mailbox that is used when a message is sent from a non-subsciber. That mailbox is called something like Unity_
soory but where can i find the "message store wizard" ? do you know the name of the .exe file ?
The problem is now resolve, I remove this patch:
MS06-029 - Vulnerability in Microsoft Exchange Server Running
Outlook Web Access Could Allow Script Injection (912442)
- Affected Software:
- Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2
- Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1
- Exchange 2000 Server Pack 3 with the August 2004 Exchange 2000
Server Post-Service Pack 3 Update Rollup
- Impact: Remote Code Execution
- Version Number: 1.0
From my Exchange server and rerun the Unity Permission Wizard. And all is now working !!!!
I was able to also replicate the issue, and the patch does not have to be removed. You need to set the permissions for the send-as/recieve-ad rights for the message store service account as this patch denied the permissions wizards updates, and will not be effective until you over ride and provide the appropriate permissions. Once you implement the rights, mail will be delivered again.
I have the same problem with unity and I did set the send as and receive as permission for the UnityMsgStoreSvc Account, but it is a no go, is it possible to share the exact configuration change that was done for the UnityMsgStoreSvc Account?
Hi Terry -
For your consideration, I worked with TAC (Thank you Bob Barton) on a similar Send As permissions issue related to KB926666. This patch changes the Store.exe version and behavior. In past versions (before the patch) granting the messagestoresvc account Full mailbox access would also give the account Send-as rights. After the patch, you need to make sure in AD Security that the messagestore account has the send-as rights granted explicitly. Here is what TAC recommended that fixed our problem:
Go to the security tab of the Unity_
-Select Copy (not apply)
-Don't click Apply or OK at this point
-Recheck the "Allow inheritable permissions to propagate to this object" and then click apply.
-Send As permissions then becomes explicit instead of inherited or grayed out.