Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Importing Subcriber with extension

At Unity 3.1(X) to import a subcriber with the extension already populated in exchange, the Telephone field in the AD General tab was used. Looking at the Admin Guide for Unity 4.0(3) it says the phone field on the Phone/Notes tab is used. Can anyone confirm that this is so and what field in the Phone/Notes tab is used?

Many thanks

Lolu

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Importing Subcriber with extension

The "Telephone Number" field on the general tab is used when auto populating the extension number when importing using CUBI - there is no "phone/notes" tab in AD - not sure what doc you're looking at there - could be referencing Exchange 5.5?

I just double checked this on a 4.0(3) installation and the extension number in the "Telephone number" field is definitely used.

Thanks Jeff, that's what I thought, but I was refering to the System Administration Guide 4.0(3), check out the Importing Existing User Data from the Message Store section below, Table 15-3 Add Subscriber Page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008014f9db.html#1184831

Although I think it is refering to importing an existing user via SA, it still should be the telephone number field.

Cisco Employee

yeah, that looks like material that was not updated from Exchange 5.5 - I'll pass it along to the pubs folks to be sure the include additional info on AD in there.

Jeff... wanted to clarify something here, as the 4.0(3) docs are still (I believe) incorrect in this regard. One of our install engineers recently had a question and was getting misguided by the documentation. I believe the following is true, can you validate:

When you import a subscriber using the webadmin, if you select an existing AD account, Unity will look at the telephoneNumber field and populate the Extension value in the interface as a convenience. This value can be overridden prior to creating the account.

When a subscriber account is created/modified, Unity uses the ciscoEcsbuDtmfId field to track the subscriber's primary extension. It does not modify the telephoneNumber field used by Exchange, and LDAP in general.

There is no synchronization or linking of these two schema elements anywhere within the system, other than the convenience screen-pop mentioned above when first creating an account. They are completely separate, and updates to one do not affect the other..

Fred

Cisco Employee

Yes, that's correct. Unity requires uniqueness for the DTMFaccessID field in our database so having it changed by external processes in AD presents all kinds of problems that we avoid by using our own private field for carting it around. We maintain some control over it.

Where in the docs is it implying that we synch this value to the phone number fields in AD? If there is such a reference, I'll want to run it down with the pubs folks.

you can find it in the 4.0(3) Exchange SysAdmin guide, Chapter 17, Subscriber Settings: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity40/sag/sag403/ex/sag_0170.htm

look at the Extension entry in Table 17-1.

Cisco Employee

yeah... "extension maps to..." is not the best choice of words. I'll chat with the pubs folks to change that to more explicitly note that this value is only read from the directory at import time and is not maintained to the directory afterwards.

Views
Helpful
Replies