Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Install and Configure Unity failover server

I just had Unity removed from Exchange 2k and reinstalled it onto a separate box last Saturday and all is going well. I am now looking into installing and configuring the the failover server. And looking for some answers to the questions below.

Is it correct that all Unity data on the primary server will get replicated to the secondary server once failover is configured ?

Do I need to run DiRT restore on the secondary server ?

Will there be service interruption when configure Unity failover ?

Anything that I need to be aware when install/configure Unity failover server ?

I am running Unity 4.0.3 with SR1

Thanks in advance !!!

Danny

2 REPLIES

Re: Install and Configure Unity failover server

Yes, the database gets replicated pretty much constantly.... If primary fails.. all the information is already on the failover server ready to go.

DIRT is not necessary. The failover will recieve updates constantly from the primary

The version you are running is not the best for failover. If anything, get to at least 4.0(5)SP1 if you can.... You may have replication issues when failover is running. This will cause failover not to work at all, or behave oddly.

Failover is pretty straight forward though.

- install the server as you did the primary

- Install Unity (same os patches, same unity patches, same same same same!

- make sure your licenses are already up to date on the primary. (failover licenses, etc)

- run failover wizard at the Console... must do this at the console.... not TS, not VNC (even though it probably works in VNC) Failover is very picky when installed that everything is perfect.

- check your NIC cards that they are configured correctly. Fault Taulerent is what you want.

- DNS should be running 100% configured correctly. If there are delays from the primary to the secondary.. it will cause the primary to kick off and the secondary to kick in when there really is no failure.

All in all, you should be ok... but just take your time and read everything you can.

It will knock service out slightly on the primary. So bank on a small window of outage. Even though it is not supposed to ..... you need to test the failover.

Re: Install and Configure Unity failover server

Thanks ! I really appreciate your response !!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content