cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Viewmail 4.0(5) with Outlook for G.729

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

Can I push out Viewmail prior to deploying Unity Unified Messaging? Do the setup.msi look for a Unity server, etc?

I have a large install in 3 weeks, and want to know if the admin can put the setup file in their login script in advance and install the client.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_release_note09186a008043a6a3.html

3 Replies 3

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jason -

Yes, you can push the ViewMail client out using a software deployment methodology. We have used SMS to do this. There is information you need to update in each user's registry if you want to make all of the updates for the user, i.e. the extension number, Unity server name, Recording device (which defaults to soundcard for microphone and we change to use Phone as the recording device instead). The Playback option defaults to soundcard, which you may want to change to Phone until users are trained. The other option is to install ViewMail without making any registry changes and send a welcome note of some type that includes configuration settings. Note this can be problematic as it depends upon the user correctly typing in the extension and Unity server name. If this info is not correct, the user will get an error when hitting the Play button, something like "Unable to contact voice server". Some additional specifics you may want to check via your software install:

- Install account must have local admin rights to workstation

- Outlook must be down during install

- DCOM must be enabled on user's workstation - required for the Media Master form

- The MSI file is ViewMail.msi

- If ViewMail is already installed (i.e. you are doing an upgrade), we have a different procedure for this. We save off the user's registry settings, deinstall the old version of ViewMail; reinstall and then reapply the saved registry settings. If you are interested, I can email you all of the registry entries used by ViewMail 4.0(5). This information was prepared by the Script expert that managed our last ViewMail upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Ginger

Hi Ginger. I would be very interested in the registry entries used by VM 4.05 if you dont mind. We are beginning a transformation this week and this is one area that has not been automated yet.....you can email me at: secole@ca.ibm.com. Thanks very much.

Ginger is the .msi file configurable prior to pushing it out?