Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Integrating Merlin Legends with a centralized Unity VM???

I am trying to use Unity as a VM system for many Merlin Legends. The only way to get the station called is to choose Integrated VM which causes the Merlin to use in-band DTMF signalling. I know that a Unity can be directly connected using Dialogic cards but I do not want a Unity per Merlin since there are over 1500 of them. My thought is that if the TAPI interface could be modified to understand the in-band DTMF codes that it would be easy to use Unity to support the branches in at least a regional model of about 300-400 sites per Unity system. I know that the codes sent from the Merlin are in the format of 0x#yyyy#zzzz# where x is either 0-direct dial, 1-forward busy, 2-CF no answer. yyyy represents the calling station and zzzz is the called station. I know that the Merlin uses #53aaaa - light on, or #*53aaaa - light off where aaaa is the station to affect. The in-band signalling maybe able to be re-written but determining which branch Merlin to select and how to re-write the dial plan number into the local key system station would be an issue. That is where I think that a modification to the TSP/TAPI interface which is used between Unity and skinny could do a form of a DB lookup to determine which key system is calling/called and translate the number plan.

Any thoughts....

Thanks

• Unified Communications Applications
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Integrating Merlin Legends with a centralized Unity VM???

So are you hoping to route the calls from the Merlins to Unity through a Call Manager? Then have Unity's Skinny TSP use the in-band DTFM integration parser that is used with legacy PBX integrations? Currently this is not possible. Code changes in Unity would be required.

Also, I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the DB lookup and translation of the number plan. Are you saying there is not a universal numbering plan across the Merlins? So to account for this you'd like Unity to get some sort of routing information from the Call Manager regarding which PBX the call origninated from then append this information to the calling and called number extracted from the in-band DTMF. This would probably require a great deal of code change.

Possibly I've missread what you are trying to accomplish. If so, maybe you could explain it differently.

No, I think you have the idea. The Merlins only support 2, 3, or 4 digit numbering plans and since the systems thinks the VM system is integrated only the local extension numbering is used. The DB lookup again would need to determine which Merlin was calling and then translate the in-band to a 10 digit dial plan extension which was routed to the Merlin. I know you are thinking that a large re-write of Unity would be required but, could a seperate DB be referenced by a modified TSP/TAPI interface to make all calls look like they were call manager generated and likewise, intercept the MWI on/off numbers and translate those into Merlin in-band signals.

Have you been able to make any progress intergrating remote Merlin Legend phone systems into a centralized Unity voicemail system?

So I've just started to look into this as a option for one of our sites. One suggestion was to place a Voice Gateway (maybe H.323) at the remote site. connect the Voice Gateway to the Merlin using a PRI. Then when CFNA sends a call to the voicemail pilot number we are thinking that the "station called" information would be included in the call setup. Possiably a function of QSIG, DMS100, or Primary-NI.

Views
Helpful
Replies