cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Integrating second unity server with call manager 3.1

dspillett
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to integrate a second unity server (3.1.3) into an existing Call manager 3.1.3 configuration. The first unify server is all configued and working fine. This unity server is in it's own domain with exchange installed locally. I now have a second unity server that is configured into our general office domain so that we can start to deploy unified messaging, i.e. use existing mail servers/accounts.

My problem is that the second unity server will not respond to the voicemail pilot number configured on CM 3.1. I have installed Unity as per install guide and completed the Voicemail Wizard on CM, and the TSP config on Unity. The TSP tests OK, but dialling the pilot number on CM gets fast busy.

Can anyone shed any light on how you integrate two unity servers back to a CM 3.1 (2 servers in a cluster in my case) where one of them is a pure voicemail server (own domain), and one is unified messaging (part of existing domain and mail exchange 2000 infrastructure)?

8 Replies 8

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In CCM 3.1, you can only have one Pilot Number. So the messages button on that phone is going to dial the Pilot No. for the first Unity server.

If you have 4 ports for the first Unity server, and another 4 ports for the second Unity server, your config may look like this:

CiscoUM1-VI1 1000 (which is prob your pilot no too)

CiscoUM1-VI2 1001

CiscoUM1-VI3 1002

CiscoUM1-VI4 1003

CiscoUM2-VI1 2000

CiscoUM2-VI2 2001

CiscoUM2-VI3 2002

CiscoUM2-VI4 2003

So to hit Unity2, you will have to manually dial 2000.

In CCM 3.2 and up, you can set profiles so that phones can be set to dial one Unity or the other.

So the important question is if you can dial the first port on Unity2.

H. M.

Thanks. I was aware of the CM3.1 limitation and understand that the voicemail button will only connect to the existing unity server, and we will have to dial the pilot point for the second server.

We have Unity1 running 16 ports from DN 8000-8015, and Unity2 running 4 ports from DN 8080-8083. Actual configuration of ports is:

Existing Server:

CiscoUM-VI1 8000 (pilot no for voicemail server)

to

CiscoUM-VI16 8015

and New Server

Unify-VI1 8080 (pilot no for unified messaging)

to

Unify-VI4 8083

Now to answer your question. When I dial 8080 I get fast busy. Dialing 8000 is fine.

I've checked that the pilot number is in the same calling search space as the dialing phone, and the partitions all see OK.

so if your phone has two lines, and the first line is 1000, 1000's CSS includes 8080's partition. Is 8080's partition on top the 1000's CSS?

Are you sure nothing else is using 8080 DN.

H. M.

Let's clarify a few details.

My phone has one line configured with a DN of 4455. I currently access voicemail by dialing DN 8000, which connects to one of the 16 available voicemail ports for a VM only Unity server. so far so good.

I have built a second Unity server for unified messaging, with the mail store is on an existing Exchange 2000 separate box.

I have configured 4 new voicemail ports on CM, the first of which is on DN 8080.

When I dial 8080 from my phone I get fast busy, i.e. I can not dial the new unity server.

My phone has a Calling Search Space (CSS) of "Standard". The Voicemail ports are all in a CSS of "Basic" with a partition of "OWNNET".

Both the "Standard" and "Basic" CSS have the "OWNNET" partition available to them. The existing voicemail ports are configured in exactly the same way as the new ones; one works the other doesn't.

I admit I don't understand how call manager knows which server to route the calls to when dialing 8000 or 8080. There is no association with a user account (e.g. JTAPI as in VRU/ICM), and I haven't had to configured the IP of the new Unity server anywhere on CM. Obviously I had to configure the IP details of the CM servers on the TSP config on Unity.

So, I believe the phone's DN and the DN associated with the voicemail ports have the same partition available to them, and therefore should work.

I can find no other use of DN 8080 on the CM configuration.

I can't help thinking I'm just missing a very simple configuration on the Call Manager......

I should have asked this question - are the ports for 2nd unity server registered?

The 4 new ports for the new unity server are not registered. They have found the correct IP address of the new unity server, but are not registered with call manager.

This is probably going to be a really dumb question, but this is the first unity server I've built. Why aren't they registering?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

found the correct IP address of the new unity

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

That just means Unity made at least one attempt to connect to CCM. I presume the status of ALL the ports are UNKNOWN on the CCMAdmin page.

1) Make sure that CCM VM ports name is IDENTICAL to the ones on Unity UTIM page.

2) On UTIM, there is a "Verify Server" button. Do all the VM-ports resolve?

3) On UTIM, Port-tab, are the "checks" properly set?

4) Open SAWeb, System, Ports. Do the ports reflect the status as set in UTIM for item 3?

5) Did you happen to try to setup dual-integration on this Unity server? That means, did you try to setup a PBX, and a CallManager.

6) Is Unity and CCM in the same subnet - if not, are you doing any port blocking?

H. M.

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I just found this doc that will answer your questions:

Accessing Voice Mail in Multiple Unity Server Environments

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a0080114a56.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: