cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Introducing a new Exchange 2003 server with Existing UM v4.0(3)

j.house
Level 4
Level 4

I can't seem to find any Cisco docs regarding the introduction of an Exchange 2003 server into an environment currently running Unity 4.0(3) UM on Exchange 2000 (off-box). I'm interested in identifying any specific steps that are needed for simply introducing the new server into the environment. Then I would like to identify any specific "special" steps for migrating to the new server. Is there anything special other than running the Unity configuration assistant and permissions wizard again? I read another post that stated that once the config asst and Perm wizard is run and Unity is integrated with exchange 2003 that the user migration is nothing more than moving the exchange accounts to the new mailstore. This almost seems to simple.

Any input would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

For Unity to service mailboxes on an Exchange 2003 server it needs three conditions meet:

1. You need to have the Exchange 2003 System Manager installed on the Unity server.

2. The partner Exchange server must be an Exchange 2003 server.

3. The Unity message store service account needs permissions on each store it is expected to service on the Exchange 2003 server.

Just adding the Exchange 2003 server doesn't require you to change anything. But before you migrate a single mailbox over you need to have those conditions meet.

To change the partner server re-run Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration from add/remove programs. To set permissions run the Permissions Wizard again. Upgrade the System Manager from 2000 to 2003.

Hope this helps...

Keith

For 4.0(3) SR1 Exchange 2003/Exchange 5.5 mixed environment with Exchange 2003 as the partner server.

Two questions:

Would I need to rerun the permissions wizard every time I introduce a new server, mail store or storage group?

Is there any danger in re-running the permissions wizard in the middle of the day?

Yes you will need to run it for each server/store you add. No there is no danger.

Thanks,

Keith

I just saw this post and read it with interest, since I recently did an upgrade that did not seem to require these conditions. Here was my scenario...

We did an upgrade/migration from Unity VM only with onbox Exchange 2000 (but with off box domain controller--Unity was a member server) to Unified Messaging with Exchange 2003 off box. Prior to our upgrade, their Exchange Admin installed a new Exchange 2003 server into the domain. So at that point we had the Exchange 2000/Unity box holding all subscriber mailboxes and another, Exchange 2003 machine in the domain. No configuration changes were made to Unity at this point. Next, we moved subscriber mailboxes over to the new Exchange 2003 server (of course, we moved a few test mailboxes first), and checked to make sure that there was no service interruption. We ran for about 5 days in this configuration (Unity with Exchange 2000 on box as the partner server with subscriber mailboxes on a separate Exchange 2003 server), with no loss of any functionality. This seems to go against all three of the conditions shown above.

Actually, as I am writing this I realized that we have another customer who upgraded their domain and the Exchange box that holds subscribers to 2003, without doing anything to the Unity box, and everything seems to be working, and has been for several months.

So, in both cases we have had Unity servicing mailboxes on an Exchange 2003 server, without meeting the above conditions, for a considerable time.

I am just looking for clarification on this, as we have several more customers planning to go to Windows 2003 in the future.

While there might be more than one technical way to make this work I it is very important to not that there is only a single supported way. For us to have a hand full of ways to test, document and support would be a nightmare for customer and us. Same thing with permissions. There are probably 100s of ways that it could work but supporting them all doesn’t scale so we only support the one methodology.

You must have the Exchange 2003 System Manager on the Unity server for Unity to be able to service any Exchange 2003 mailboxes, the partner server must be an Exchange 2003 server and Unity must be at version 4.0(3) or later for this to be supported by Cisco. Anything outside of this will not be supported.

Also, having Exchange installed on box in a UM configuration is not supported as of 4.0(1). If that is the configuration you have it would be best to remove it and make the Exchange 2003 server the partner. That way you will have a supported configuration.

Thanks,

Keith