cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid Extension error help needed...

kylehenning
Level 1
Level 1

Forgive me, but I'm no where close to being cisco savvy in anyway, but I need some help.  I'm the only IT guy for a company of roughly 100 employees.  I have been given the responsibility of administrating the phone and voicemail system.  Needless to say, I'm sort of learning as I go.  Anyway, when people dial into our 800 number they first choose 1 or 2 for english or spanish.  After that selection they can press 1 to enter an extension.  Some extensions however are coming up with a message saying you have dialed an invalid extension and then they are forwarded to the operator.  I know those extensions exist, so I'm guessing I'm missing some rather obvious setting.  We have Cisco Unity 4.0 Build 4.0(4).  I'm not sure if any other info is needed but I'd be glad to provide it.  Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do the extensions exist in Unity or only on the PBX (assuming Cisco CCM)?

They exist in both and yes to the CCM.

Check your restriction tables in Unity to see if certain dial strings are being blocked.

It doesn't look like anything is blocked.

Actually all of those patterns are being blocked in the Restriction Table.  So, the better question is do you know which extensions are being blocked when users call in?

The few I know of are all extensions in the 7000 and 8000 such as mine, 7022.

Do you know how to use the Port Monitor in Unity to view what is happening when someone hits a Call Handler or mailbox?

No I don't.  But I'd be willing to learn. 

Cool.  I can work with that.  Do me a favor first.  Go here: http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/PortStatusMonitorCUC7x/Help/Connection%20Remote%20Port%20Status%20Monitor.html

Read up on this tool and read the Help file as well.  You can use it to call into Unity and when your call hits a port - you'll see it and be able to "watch" what Unity is doing as you progress thru the call.  It may not lead to exactly what's going on but 1) it can be educational and 2) it can help verify what Unity is seeing and doing compared to what you think should occcur.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: