Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator, CME and "unsupported" VPN client

marcbutler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Wondered whether you can help. I have a client who has had us install CME for them. They have desktop phones and IP Communicators (ver 2.0.1). The Communicators work fine in the office. However, they appear to have "unsupported" VPN clients.

I have read the following on ways to get around this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps5475/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008020ad96.html#wp1067624

(this is the guide fr version 1.1 of IPC, but it says the same in the version 2.0 guide, which I cannot find the link for at the moment)

As you will see, it mentions running the Admin Tool on the publisher/TFTP server and then inserting a URL in a specific part of the phone config page. I know the first thing is definitely not possible (as this is CME on a router platform) and I do not think the second thing is possible either!

Anybody know a way around this issue? Or is IPC with CME across VPNs with unsupported VPN clients just not possible at the moment?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Rgds

Marc

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I guess it depends on the VPN solution - if you can allocate a specific IP address to each user account, you may be able to specify that IP in the CIPC preferences on the client using a given account.

Hope this helps

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

janaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As I understand IPC need to bind to the VPN virtual interface IP rather than the public ip assigned by the ISP. The getip.asp (or wot ever its called) is just a page that return the requesting clients ip (ie the VPN IP) so the IPC can bind to this. I've noticed that IPC 2.0.2 seems to bind to the VPN IP with out any of this *.asp stuff. I'm using Windows XP built-in L2TP Client. It actually doesnt seem to have the setting either.

Having said all this I'm no expert on this. I'm trying to get it to work over VPN myself.