cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue Installing Unity4.0(5) -Message Store wizard

awi
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to install a Unity 4.0(5) with Exchange 2k3 in a child domain under a big forest.

Everything has been correctly installed until I've tried to run Message Store Wizard at nearly the end of the installation. The Wizard says there is a permissions issue with the Exchange Server but I've checked the permissions and everything looks fine (Exchange Full Admin Rights for Message Store account). Permission Wizard ran Ok and I've checked Directory Access Diagnostics (DAD) and it looks OK. During the installation I've seen the Exchange repositories so I believe the Exchange Permissions are Ok.

Am I missing something? Is there something else to take into account when running Message Store Wizard?

By the way, As I need to run Unity as soon as possible, Is it possible to install Unity without Exchange and deliver messages trough SMTP to an exchange server?

Thanks in advance,

3 Replies 3

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

Several things I can think of to check:

1. Did you use version 2.1.0.32 or later of the permissions wizard - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00804d2ab0.shtml

2. When you ran the Exchange Delegation Wizard for the Message store service account, did you run this at the Exchange organization level or at an Administrative Group (lower level)? You will need the permissions run at the Organization level.

3. Also make sure Inheritance is checked.

4. You did not mention it, but the Directory service account needs Exchange permissions depending on whether you are creating new subscribers using Unity or importing from Exchange - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080441d6f.html#wp1813294

I am unsure if your question regarding install Unity without Exchange and deliver messages via SMTP is supported. I do know the partner server is required because it hosts the Unity_servername mailbox used for external caller messaging.

Ginger

I ran the latest permission wizard from www.ciscounitytools.com (2.1.0.32) and I'll import all users from Exchange but I did not run the delegation wizard at the Organization level.

I don't really understand why do I have to ran the Delegation Wizard at the highest level because the partner exchange server is at the same administrative group as the Unity Server and the domain controller but I'll try to ran it at the highest level ( I do not have rights at the highest level).

Do you know if there is another way to solve this problem? (Without Organization level rights)

Thanks for all!.

Hi -

Unity 4.1 has this capability - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531bb0.html#wp1041461

As the documents says, Cisco advises for ease of maintainability to delegate the Exchange permissions at the Organization level, but they can be done at the Adminstrative Group level. If you are doing digital networking between Unity servers, the doc lists the caveats and what to do for that support. And if you have Bridge, VPIM, or AMIS networking (we have the Unity Bridge to Octel) permissions must be at the Org level. And this is just a thought - since the Permissions wizard applies permissions, but doesn't take away permission already given, you might want to start cleanly with a brand new set of Unity accounts.

Ginger