cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber and CUPC with SAMETIME

macrouch98
Level 1
Level 1

What does the Jabber service and client provide and what does the CUPC client provide?  Do  I need both?  Which will provide me video conferencing?  Can I interface with SAMETIME and have all of the same features for the users, between the users?  Are there any limitations?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello Melissa take a look on this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_rn_chapter_01.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_faq_chapter_01.html

Jabber has some new features like: file sharing, Desktop Sharing, send screenshots though Jabber, this features are only available on Jabber and does not work between Jabber and CUPC.

Other important thing Jabber for Windows does not support video calls in deskphone mode only in softphone mode.

My recomendation, see the features you need and use the client that fits to you, but remember from now on Cisco will use Jabber.

Regards

Rate this if helps you

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Thank you Leonardo.  I was able to access the second link. 

But I do have a few more questions...

What does "not support video calls in deskphone mode only in softphone mode mean?"

So CUPC and Jabber use independent servers, and they have their own clients.  According to the document it says I need "CUP, CUCM and Unity Connection or in a Cloud-based soultion using the Cisco Webex services".  Does this mean if I use the combination of products I don't require Webex?  Can I build my own Cloud-based Webex solution, or is the one that I have to subscribe to?

Is there a protocol diagram showing how all talk to one another via protocol?  Are all connections encrypted?

For my client message can I have it take the information from the users Exchange Calendar vice them selecting Available, Away, and Do Not disturb?

Jabbers client is collecting numbers from a directory server.  Does this directory server retrieve the information from Active directory?  We want to have a central source for all user information.

To perform desktop sharing I need CUCM 8.6 and associating a "device" with a BFCP-enabled SIP profile.  I'm not clear on associated a device and what BFCP is.  What if the user doesn't use the same workstation everyday, or their mobile.  Do we just need to ensure all devices are registered with CUCM?  We also use VDI.  Not sure how all of this ties together. 

Thanks!

Video calls on Jabber only work when you use the softphone mode.

No CUPC and Jabber uses Presence, i know that Jabber you can use with Webex, CUPC i dont know.

The Webex solution i dont have knowlegde yet i never used.

Jabber is only the client, the hole configuration you will do on CUCM + Presence.

To perform desktop share use this doc:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24456#comment-12304

Regards

Rate this if helps you

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

rupert.clayton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Melissa,

What kind of Sametime connectivity are you looking for? Do you have Sametime now, and if so, what version and what directory are you using? Will the Sametime and Jabber/CUPC users be two separate communities that you are trying to link together, or are you looking at these as alternative client choices?

Regards,

Rupert Clayton

IBM Collaboration Solutions Architect

CDW, San Francisco