Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing question - Migrating from CUCM 4.x to 8.x

Asad Raza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello fellow UC comrades,

I'm trying to create a quote for a customer who wants to migrate from CUCM 4.x to 8.x but I am a little confused about the licensing. The customer currently has more phones than licensing permits because they have an inventory of spares. When they migrate to 8.x, they intend to expand and utilize some of the spares.

Now, my question is: Will their existing DLUs count for anything when they migrate to 8.x or will they have to purchase UCLs for all devices regardless of whether the device was licensed under CCM  4.x or stored away as a spare?

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Well - assuming that you have properly purchases licenses etc for the phones you have already...

The way that the process works is that you run DMA, and it generates a DB export and temporary license file in a .tar that you then import to the CUCM 8.x server you build.

This export and license is based on the configuration (not registration status, or purchase history) of the CUCM4.x cluster at the time that DMA is run. So effectively if you add 10000 phones, you will get lots of DLUs.

When you have imported it to 8.x, you send the temporary license file to Cisco and they will return you a permanent license that matches the license counts.

So in your case, if you add all the phones to the system config before doing DMA, you avoid having to obtain the licenses through other channels.

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Well - assuming that you have properly purchases licenses etc for the phones you have already...

The way that the process works is that you run DMA, and it generates a DB export and temporary license file in a .tar that you then import to the CUCM 8.x server you build.

This export and license is based on the configuration (not registration status, or purchase history) of the CUCM4.x cluster at the time that DMA is run. So effectively if you add 10000 phones, you will get lots of DLUs.

When you have imported it to 8.x, you send the temporary license file to Cisco and they will return you a permanent license that matches the license counts.

So in your case, if you add all the phones to the system config before doing DMA, you avoid having to obtain the licenses through other channels.

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

Great response but one question regarding the use of DMA. My understanding (based upon the table on page 120 of the doc below) is that DMA will only work with CUCM versions up to 7.1(5).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

In your post you mention importing the DMA data into CUCM 8.x - does this work or do you use 7.x as an interim version?

If it does work which version of the DMA tool do you use?

Thanks

James,

I believe when you're doing a multi-hop upgrade using the DMA tool, you'll have to generate a license with the interim version (7.x for instance) and upload that license into the final version (8.x in our example) of the process. This information can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_1_2/upgrd712.html#wp44770

This was also clarified by user "phoogen" here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2058622

Regards,

Asad

Aaron,

Thanks for your response. It was really helpful in clearing things up for me. I just wanted to confirm one more thing - I've also been told that although all existing phones can be migrated to 8.x (assuming appropriate licensing exists), the customer would still need to purchase UCLs for all devices, regardless of whether enough DLUs were trasferred over. Is this correct? Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Asad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: