Cisco Support Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New Member

Licensing Questions - Unity 4.0.5, MS Server 2003, Exchange 2003

We are currently exploring the issues of providing resilient Unified messaging or Voice messaging and some questions regarding the licensing of both the Microsoft Exchange 2003 server and the primary and secondary Unity servers have been raised.

Windows Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 - If we use exchange as the message store in a Voice messaging only installation we need to licence the operating system and exchange application - but what about the CAL's? If we are only accessing the message store on the exchange server from the IP handsets do we need server and exchange CAL's and if so how many?

Unity Failover licensing - When adding failover Unity servers do we need to purchase a complete Cisco Unity server licence and failover licence for the backup servers or do we purchase these for the primary server and just purchase a failover server licence for each failover server?

Cisco Employee

Re: Licensing Questions - Unity 4.0.5, MS Server 2003, Exchange

No- if you're using voice mail only, no additional CALs are needed. You only have to pony up a CAL if you want to get at your message store from the desktop.

yes, you purhcase just the failover license for the 2nd server. They are, of course, cheaper than a full server license. However the 2nd server and the primary server cannot both be taking calls at the same time so it forces a "hot failover" configuration - some customers want to use failover as a cheap way of port load ballancing which is not what it is.

CreatePlease login to create content