Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing client interface for Call Manager Environment

amaiale
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it practicle to attempt to load balance the client web interface for our Cisco Call Manager environment. Our Call Manager environment consists of a Publisher and a Subscriber (Cisco Unified CM 6.1 7845-H2 Appliance running System version: 6.1.2.1002-1).

For load balancing I have Cisco CSMs in our Data Center Distribution switches, being 6509s.

I was thinking that this is not a good idea because all data is served up from the Publisher's database and if someone were to connect to the Subscriber, the Subscriber in turn will need to connect to the Publisher anyway. This will add an additional hop in the process.

Am I correct, which means this is not a good design or is there a way to load-balance this environement??

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

you don't get to choose, phones do the change of UFF in the server were they're registered.

there is no UFF web interface really, at most all you can do is change the CFA thru ccmuser but that's it

simply give each user the ccmuser page from local server or if you have several locations configure a DNS entry per office and don't trouble users with the real ips

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the information is replicated in any case and depending on the status:

Figure 8-2 Replication of the Database and User-Facing Features

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/callpros.html#wp1048950

i would only consider doing that if this is a cluster that's close to the max amount of phones you can have, CUCM service not running on PUB. this would take some overhead from PUB, but for any regular deployment i honestly do not see a real need for this.

the changes are transactional so it's not that much information going on there

my 2 cents

HTH

java

HTH

java

Java,

Thanks for your response. This installation is for our IPT Core and will grow to be very large. There are over 50,000 users on the network side. Voice is only just getting started.

The Pub is not doing any call processing to reduce overhead as you mentioned.

Honestly, I don't see this as being beneficial; however, my counterparts are requesting it. I was looking for somewhat of a strong enough argument to advise them against it.

Thanks again for your input!

Tony

Hi Java,

I was wondering if you had any advice on how to setup the user facing feature web interface without load balancing on the CSM.

Do you create a URL and point it to only (1) of the Subscribers and simply allow the subscribers to replicate to each other? I guess, with a large caller/user base I was wondering if that would create problems by sending all callers to (1) Sub.

Any advice on how to set it up properly??

Thank you for your help and guidance.

Sincerely,

Tony

you don't get to choose, phones do the change of UFF in the server were they're registered.

there is no UFF web interface really, at most all you can do is change the CFA thru ccmuser but that's it

simply give each user the ccmuser page from local server or if you have several locations configure a DNS entry per office and don't trouble users with the real ips

HTH

java

HTH

java

Java,

Thanks you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Tony