cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mailbox move 2k to 2003. System unable to retrieve vms

slc2
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Details: UM 4.04sr1. Partner Exchange server:w2k/e2k.

Mailstore:w2003(no sp1)/Exchange2003. Unity server:w2k. Intecom PBX

Moved mailbox to an Exchange2003 server and now I get the following voice msg

after login in via the phone:

Your messages are not available now. To play new messages 1, old messages 3,

setup 4.

New messages. This system is temporarily unable to complete your call. Call

again later. Good bye.

I get MWI and notification but, can't play back msg via phone.

TAC suggested deleting and adding the mailbox to Unity. This works. I thought this problem might have been caused because while testing migration this mbx got moved a bunch of times. However, I am starting to see the same as we are migrating mailboxes from mailstore on e2k to e2003. Just wondering what is going on here. Any other folks running into this?

Sabas Chois

7 Replies 7

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can try to restart the AvMsgStoreMonitorSvr service after hours instead of deleting them. I have seen this issue once in my lab.

Do you have the exch 2003 admin tools installed on the unity server?

Is there a reason you don't want the exch 2003 to be the partner server?

No E2003 tools on the Unity server.

We are in the pilot phase of our E2000 to E2003 migration, ie, just making sure everything is ok before we go to a complete migration. Thus not pointing to E2003 partner.

I also have a separate exchange server just for the partner and bridge connector to minimize impact on mailstores.

Your suggestion of restarting the StoreMonitor is good but, my concern is why is this happening. Migration from 5.5 to 2000 did not surfaced any problems with accessing the mailbox. Not all migrated mailboxes are having this problem, in fact few of them so far but, again why. With a large implementation this can be a support issue for us.

You should load the e2003 tools on the Unity server. This will update the CDO.dll and other files on the Untiy server to "talk" to the E2003 server. You will also need to make this a partner server with Unity. If you migrated the mailboxes between the Exchange servers, and Unity does not know about the E2003 server, how will anything work? Everything should be fine. Unity will just see another Messenging Store and understand where the subscribers exsist.

You also may have replication issues with Exchange. After you move mailboxes from one Exchange server to another, it takes Active Directory a bit to update it's database. Hence, Unity will have to be updated also in it's SQL and local databases. So if you just migrated users and tried to access the VMails, it wont work until AD and Unity is updated. (normally 15minutes or longer)

Hope this helps a bit.

tc

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the problem is only on a few subscribers, I would say that unity does not "know" that the mailbox have been moved. So Unity can see that the subscriber has x number of messages. When it actually has to log into the mailbox to retrieve the messages, unity is going to the old exch 2000 server and cannot find the mailbox. When you reimport the subscriber, all the correct information about the windows account and mailbox is available to unity and as such not a problem.

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sabas -

Was the Unity permissions wizard run to get the permissions set for the information stores on the Exchange 2003 server? Something else to consider now that you have an Exchange 2003 server in your domain - making this server Unity's partner server.

Ginger

Good question w. Perm Wiz. However since he was able to chk mail after reimport implies permission is there.

The other reason for exch 2003 tools on the unity server is so that the unity server will have the mapi files to talk to the exch 2003 server.

One more thing to consider - Unity is not supported in voicemail-only mode if connected to exch 2003.

SCOTT VOLL
Level 1
Level 1

Can you check to make sure that your users are getting inhearated permissions. Admin's by default don't. And restarting the AvMsgStoreMonitorSvr service will log Unity back into the mailbox.

Scott