Views
Helpful
Replies

Message Store Manager Question

john-glass
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Unity 4.0.5 server that I cannot seem to get deleted items removed from. I tried Exchange and thought I might be doing something wrong, so I fired up MSM, created a test agent, set the "Flush messages from deleted items folder" to active, right clicked on it and said, RUN NOW. Nothing happens. If I schedule the task, nothing happens. The account does have Full Exchange Administrator rights in Exchange. Any ideas?

John

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which users did you have configured in the agent? Anything int he MSM logs or the event logs?

By the way, you can't configure Exchange to flush the deleted items folder for you - the retention time you see in there is actually how long it keeps items deleted entirely (also called the "dumpster") - this does not flush items in the deleted items folders for users. MS does have it's own mailbox manager tool that works much the same way as MSM but it's not as flexible and is a little tougher to setup and run cleanly.

Jeff,

nothing in either log location. The messages we're trying to delete are years old so they're definitely beyond the retention time. Not I also downloaded the latest version of MSM. Any other suggestions?

John

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Right click the properties and check to see how many days you have it set to. I think 7 is the default and 1 is the lowest you can set it to. If you didn't change that and your messages aren't 7 days old yet, they won't get deleted.

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Right click the properties and check to see how many days you have it set to. I think 7 is the default and 1 is the lowest you can set it to. If you didn't change that and your messages aren't 7 days old yet, they won't get deleted.