cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Messages stuck in Unity Mailbox on Exchange 2003

tom.brockman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered. About a month ago we migrated all of our Exchange mailboxes to a new Exchange 2003 server (old one was 2003 also). Everything (including Unity) worked fine. Yesterday we realized that for the past 24 hours, new messages from outside callers weren't being delivered to user mailboxes (internal messages were fine). After checking the forum for similar cases, we decided to restart Unity and now things are working fine (I think). The only problem is that we still have 73 messages stuck in UnityMessagingSystem mailbox on the Exchange server (my understanding is that this is initial stopping point for incoming messages prior to distribution to user mailboxes - these appear to be the messages that came in during the outage).

How can I get these messages to be delivered to the intended recipient? I have tried restarting the unity server a few times. Is there a way to open that mailbox and manually forward the messages?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

The issue with the messages stuck in the UMR sounds like CSCsd17381. Assuming it is, the root of the problem is an issue with Microsoft's GC reconnect code. We've notified them of the issue. No ETA on a fix yet.

But the messages in the Unity Messaging System mailbox are likely not related. When we send a message we drop it in the outbox of that mailbox. Then Exchange should route it. Where (which folder) are you seeing these messages sitting specifically?

Also, which version of Unity do you have?

Thanks,

Keith

we are experiencing same issue. internal messages are forwarded immediately to exchange mailbox, but outside caller's messages sit in UMR for a period between 2 to 8 hours. a restart of unity will flush everything.

unity 4.0(5)

We are running Unity 4.0(4.0)SR1.

I think the messages are stuck in the Inbox of the Unity Messaging System mailbox. Exchange System manager shows 76 items in this mailbox (and the count never goes down). I have tried to open this mailbox with Outlook, but have been unsuccessful (error says "Unable to display folder - Inbox folder could not be found"). Since the Unity server and Exchange server were restarted last week, new messages have been routed fine. It is just these messages that came in during a 24 hour period that are stuck now.

Thanks

How do we know the time stamps of the messages if we can't open the inbox? I'm still thinking the two events are probably not related.

If the messages were in the inbox it would lead me to believe they were sent to the mailbox directly. But as of 3.1(5)/4.0(1) Unity will auto-delete any message in the inbox of the Unity Messaging System account. We do this to prevent NDRs from filling the mailbox, which could cause it to reach sending storage limits if configured.

Tracking down the exact cause would likely take more involvement then we can provide on the forum. You might try opening a case with TAC to get to root cause.

Thanks,

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: