Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Microsoft and Unity

Hi comrades:

I would like to ask you (oh wise ones)a question with regard to the above.

I have worked as a SQL Dba and then worked as an Exchange Admin. Currently I am working with Active Directory and have also completed my CCNP. I will doing my CCIE (R&S) soon. Will it be a good option for me to take up Unity? How big a part does Exchange/SQL play in Unity?

Any suggestion or advise will be appreciated.

Thank you

VIP Purple

Re: Microsoft and Unity

Certainly, Unity is a major part of the Cisco solution and worth your time to know. Exchange/SQL both play a major role in the function of Unity. Exchange is the repository for voicemail messages (and email messages in a unified messaging environment). SQL is the repository for configuration data. Without either, Unity does not function. Take a look at the following link which describes the Unity architecture including its interactions with Exchange and SQL.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Re: Microsoft and Unity

Here is the easiest thing to remember. Unity simple "rides" on top of AD/Exchange with a SQL database to store it's settings and information. Subscriber voicemails are stored in Exchange.

It's not so much knowing SQL, but more know about Exchange and AD. It's an important piece I find that more and more IPT Engineers seem to forget about it. They are great with CCM, but stink at Unity.

So let's say you know AD/Exchange and CCM. Now you need to know about all the cool things you can do with Unity. Call Handlers, switch integrations for migrations schemes, digital networking, etc. Sure you could install Unity and just have standard voicemail setup for each user, but many clients have special needs for layers upon layers of CallHandlers (large call tress). Centralized Unity calls for customized greetings for each site or directory handlers..... the list goes on.

So yes on AD/Exchange and Unity to be a well rounded IPT engineer.

CreatePlease to create content