Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Microsoft OC using a Cisco router as a Gateway

I trying to use a cisco router 3925 as a PSTN Gateway for the Microsoft OC.

Ive already read that i need to create a SIP trunk from the router to the mediation server, and the Microsoft site shows the Cisco Routers as valid Basic Gateways.

Ive even seem some configuration examples about this.

But i still have this doubt:

-Do i need a CUBE feature (and of curse the FL-CUBEE License), to make this SIP trunk to work??

-Has anyone make this work with just the IPVoice (now UC) IOS license??

Thanks

Osvaldo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Re: Microsoft OC using a Cisco router as a Gateway

Hi

I've integrated a CCM cluster to OCS using a straight SIP trunk with MTP; this was for the purpose of getting dial-in users from the PSTN (via Cisco GWs) in to OCS LiveMeeting. I would expect to be able to get a similar level of functionality from gateways but haven't done a gateway-only setup.

The one problem we've had is that Cisco's SIP implementation lacks proper support for RTCP - the SIP RFCs (which Cisco claim support for) state that connections in one-way mode (i.e. on hold, listening to MoH etc) should still send RTCP despite the RTP not being sent. None of the current devices (CCM MTP, IOS GWs, Phones etc) do this; when RTP stops, RTCP stops.

The effect of this in this scenario is that if someone mutes a participant from within livemeeting, they are dropped 30 seconds later as there is no RTCP being received by the mediation server. It wouldn't surprise me if some non-LiveMeeting scenarios had similar results...

The only fix from Cisco available soon is a near-release feature called 'Assisted RTP' which is a feature of CUBE.. which is frustrating as it means more expense to get functionality advertised as part of CUCM itself...

We actually have a couple of OCS integrations, and one of them doesn't suffer from this problem (CCM doesn't send RTCP still, but the OCS mediation server is less strict and doesn't drop the caller - can't figure out why yet!).

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
1 REPLY
Super Bronze

Re: Microsoft OC using a Cisco router as a Gateway

Hi

I've integrated a CCM cluster to OCS using a straight SIP trunk with MTP; this was for the purpose of getting dial-in users from the PSTN (via Cisco GWs) in to OCS LiveMeeting. I would expect to be able to get a similar level of functionality from gateways but haven't done a gateway-only setup.

The one problem we've had is that Cisco's SIP implementation lacks proper support for RTCP - the SIP RFCs (which Cisco claim support for) state that connections in one-way mode (i.e. on hold, listening to MoH etc) should still send RTCP despite the RTP not being sent. None of the current devices (CCM MTP, IOS GWs, Phones etc) do this; when RTP stops, RTCP stops.

The effect of this in this scenario is that if someone mutes a participant from within livemeeting, they are dropped 30 seconds later as there is no RTCP being received by the mediation server. It wouldn't surprise me if some non-LiveMeeting scenarios had similar results...

The only fix from Cisco available soon is a near-release feature called 'Assisted RTP' which is a feature of CUBE.. which is frustrating as it means more expense to get functionality advertised as part of CUCM itself...

We actually have a couple of OCS integrations, and one of them doesn't suffer from this problem (CCM doesn't send RTCP still, but the OCS mediation server is less strict and doesn't drop the caller - can't figure out why yet!).

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content