cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from CUCM-BE 6.1 to CUCM-BE 6000

DENNIS WEIKEL
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning a Migration from a CUCM-BE 6.1 to CUCM-BE 6000.

The configuration steps of page 7 of the following cisco document outlines the migration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/virtual/servers.html

Abbreviated steps:

2.  Upgrade MSC servers to CUCM Release 8.0 or later

3.  Perform DRS backup on the MCS server

5.  Use Answer File Generator to generate a license MAC for the Cisco UCS B-Servers

6.  Create the virtual machines on the Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers that will be used as replacements for the MCS nodes

7.  Install CUCM 8.0 or later on the Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server

9.  Perform a DRS restore to restore the data backjup up from the MCS server to the Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server.

Questions:

Will I have to jump to 7.X release and then to the 8.X prior to the migration or will the DRS restore be able to the migrate the CUCM\CUC from the 6.1 release?

Is there another migration stratigy that I've overlooked?

Notes:

CUCM-BE  Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition (CUCMBE, aka Cucumber), which places Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0 and Cisco Unity Connections 2.0 (Voicemail) on the same server (an MCS 7828 with dual 250GB hard drives and 6GB of RAM).

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dennis,

I have not performed this upgrade so I don't profess to be any

sort of expert here

One thing that is for sure is that DRS Backup/Restores must be performed

between "exact" versions including any SR's.

I thought the CUCN-BE6000 wiki was pretty good;

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_Business_Edition_6000

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

Just be aware that the old CUCMBE is now what we call the 5K version, which is still supported on 7828.

If you're looking to move to a 6K which runs on C210 then those are CUCM/CUC/UCCX/CUPS standalone machines.

For CUC you can use COBRAS to get the info out from your server and pretty much bypass the whole upgrade.

For CUCM your only option is going to be BAT no matter what version you're running. If you want to make things easier upgrade to the same CUCM version you'll want to use on 6K and then just export/import. Otherwise you might as well just export the info right now and adjust it as necessary for the import.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dennis,

I have not performed this upgrade so I don't profess to be any

sort of expert here

One thing that is for sure is that DRS Backup/Restores must be performed

between "exact" versions including any SR's.

I thought the CUCN-BE6000 wiki was pretty good;

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_Business_Edition_6000

Cheers!

Rob

Just be aware that the old CUCMBE is now what we call the 5K version, which is still supported on 7828.

If you're looking to move to a 6K which runs on C210 then those are CUCM/CUC/UCCX/CUPS standalone machines.

For CUC you can use COBRAS to get the info out from your server and pretty much bypass the whole upgrade.

For CUCM your only option is going to be BAT no matter what version you're running. If you want to make things easier upgrade to the same CUCM version you'll want to use on 6K and then just export/import. Otherwise you might as well just export the info right now and adjust it as necessary for the import.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: