Replies

Missing Ringtones on 79XX IP Phones

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

CUCM: 10.5(2)

Phones:  7941, 7961, 7962

I noticed today that when you attempt to change the ringtone for individual lines on the phone, that the ring selection does not match the ring selection of the "Default Ring" options. This is the case for every phone I looked at today, so I know its not just one phone.

The ringtones listed under the "Default Ring" setting, in: Settings > User Preferences > Rings > Default Ring match what's in the RingList.DAT file. But, when you try to select a ringtone for an individual line, it only shows: Ring1, Ring2... Ring7, Silent

Any idea why these Ring selections don't show the same list for each line as it does for "Default Ring"?

Also, there is a file called Ringlist.xml, which shows more ringtones then what's in the RingList.DAT file. What's the difference between these 2 files?

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Forgot to comment back with my results...

After editing the DistinctiveRingList.xml file, uploading it back to all of our CUCMs, and then restarting the TFTP service on all our our CUCM nodes. You can now see ALL Ringtones under each individual line settings for Ringtone selection.

So it looks like DistinctiveRingList.xml controls what you see on each individual line's ringtone list and the Ringlist.xml file controls what you see under the Default Ring selection.

-Matt

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can not answer your first question that behavior seems odd.  You might want to upgrade firmware to see if the behavior is still there.  But it is my understanding that ringlist.dat was the older way to do it, maybe even with ealry sip loads on the 7940s. Editin Ringlist.xml is the way I have always edited these files and from my understanding is what these model of phones will look to for ringtones.

Ok, thanks Greg.

Yea, the Ringlist.xml file does look like it contains all the rings in the system. So I'm really confused as to why its not available on all the Lines of the phone and not just the Default Ring setting, its really bizarre.

Any other ideas?

-Matt

Are you running the most current firmware version on the phone?

We are running firmware SCCPxx.9-4-2SR1-1S.

But, I think I might have found the issue. There is a file called "DistinctiveRingList.xml" on CUCM, and this file matches exactly what ringtones are displayed for the individual line selection.

So I just copied everything from Ringlist.xml to DistinctiveRingList.xml. But, I'll need to restart the TFTP service to see if that fixed the issue.

Are there any issues that could happen by restarting the TFTP Service during regular business hours? Other then phones not having the Default Firmware (*I believe they would restart and get the Default Load if they didn't already have it when TFTP restarts).

-Matt

I restart tftp during the day all the time. Just don't have phone attempt to download new firmware as your doing it.

Forgot to comment back with my results...

After editing the DistinctiveRingList.xml file, uploading it back to all of our CUCMs, and then restarting the TFTP service on all our our CUCM nodes. You can now see ALL Ringtones under each individual line settings for Ringtone selection.

So it looks like DistinctiveRingList.xml controls what you see on each individual line's ringtone list and the Ringlist.xml file controls what you see under the Default Ring selection.

-Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: