Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

mmc disk full message on unity

customer has a new unity 4.2 that's been in production for a few weeks.

the event viewer is filling up with perfdisk counter errors. I went on to unity and tried to open event viewer and am now getting a microsoft management console window pop up that says, disk is full. also tried to open, computer managemnt, services, enterprise manager - get same mmc msg.

could this be caused by the constant perfdisk event msg's ? how can i fix it?

thanks

Rob

14 REPLIES

Re: mmc disk full message on unity

To free some space open a command prompt and type the following commands:

C:\osql -E

1>use UnityDb

2>go

1>backup log UnityDb with no_log

2>go

1>dbcc shrinkdatabase (unitydb)

2>go

exit

Then see if you are still having the errors, if yes, then post the exact error.

ran the cmds - was able to get into viewer and others at first - now getting same "disk full" msg

perfdisk event viewer msg is:

Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk performance counters must be enabled for at least one physical disk or logical volume in order for these counters to appear. Disk performance counters can be enabled by using the Hardware Device Manager property pages. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

Hi -

In addition to Jorge's SQL recommendation, here are a couple of other things to check on your Unity server's C drive:

- Memory.dmp or User.dmp (operating system dumps). If these exist, either move to spare drive if you still need to work with Microsoft, or delete.

- $nt* files - uninstall files created by running OS updates. We typically delete all but the prior month's files.

- On your event log properties, make sure you have "Overwrite events as needed" selected and have adequate disk space to handle the maximum size of the log.

Ginger

For this warning:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: PerfDisk

Event Category: None

Event ID: 2001

Date: 10/18/2004

Time: 2:24:26 PM

User: N/A

Computer: CMMU01

Description:

Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk performance

counters must be enabled for at least one physical disk or logical volume in order for

these counters to appear. Disk performance counters can be enabled by using the Hardware

Device Manager property pages. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

Data:

0000: 6f 10 00 00 o...

The cause of the problem is that disk performance counter check was disabled on your

server (I do not know this was done on purpose or by chance)

Have there been any changes to the system recently? Are you using a USB memory device or

drive by chance?

To stop the message, run the following command from a command (DOS) prompt.

perdisk -y

Refer to the Microsoft Web site for more information;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296187

i ran the cmd for perfdisk but must wait until a reboot can be done for it to take effect.

there are no memory.dmp or user.dmp files on c drive. but c drive has 12gb cap and 7kb free space while d has 55.8gb cap and 54gb free.

the unity db & logs were left on the c drive during install.

a week or so ago, i used ent mgr to change recovery model to simple and shrink db.

when i was able to get into ent mgr after doing the osql cmds, i did not see the unitydb. is that expected?

how do i change the event viewer properties to write over?

thanks

Rob

Hi Rob -

For the Event logs:

1. Right-click My Computer and select Manage

(or you can start an MMC and add the Computer Management snap-in)

2. Drill down to Event Viewer

3. Right-click Application and select Properties

4. On the General tab, in the Log size area, select the radial button "Overwrite events as needed".

5. Reply OK. Do this same procedure for your Security and System event logs.

You can also right-click on the log and select Save log file as (save it to your other drive). Then right-click and select Clear All Events. This will reduce space initially.

Also forgot to mention, if your pagefile.sys file is also on your C drive, this will consume space and for performance should be moved to another physical drive, if you have one.

Ginger

hi Ginger;

when i try and select manage, i get the mmc "disk is full" window. is there another way to do this without involving mmc?

thanks

Rob

Hi Rob -

Can you get to it this way:

Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer. On a separate thought, especially since this is a relatively new 4.2 install - you should run Disk Management and report on disk defragmentation of the C drive. Note: Don't select Defrag. You'll want to schedule this on the Unity server when Unity is DOWN and take good backups/break mirror set before doing so.

Ginger

ginger

unfortunately there is no event viewer under administrative tools. I tried selecting services and computer management and got the same mmc disk full msg.

Rob

just to update this thread....

the reportdb_log file was at 5GB. Opened a tac case. Engr had me run the osql shrink cmds for both the unitydb and the reportdb. this then freed up about 5GB on the C drive. Also, the report db box was checked off for the nightly DIRT backups. Engr said the recovery model should be changed back to full and not to use simple, although I didn't get the full explaination why.

Rob

Hey guys, I ran into this issue on a client site. It is correct to do what you did, but the issue will resurface. The real answer is to move the LDF/IDF files from the system drive to D:\ which typically has enough space. Here is what I got from one of the Aussie TAC engineers.

The following steps will truncate the logfile once.

The condition that created the large logfiles WILL still exist.

These commands should ONLY be run _after_ following the steps above.

Open a CMD line and enter the following:

osql -E

1> use unitydb

2> go

1> backup log unitydb with no_log

2> go

1> dbcc shrinkdatabase(unitydb)

2> go

1>exit

SEND THE OUTPUT OF THIS COMMAND ALONG WITH THE

SQL ERROR LOGS AND THE UNITY APPLICATION EVENT

LOG TO TAC AND/OR ATTACH ALL INFORMATION TO THE CASE.

If the command above fails due to a lack of disk space, the following steps

should be used to create a new location for the Unitydb and Reportdb

database and log files. These steps will restrict file growth on the

current drive holding the files and cause any new data to be written

to the newly created files.

- Create a directory like 'MSSQLData' on another drive that has sufficient

disk space (ie, if the SQL files are written to the C:, the D: is the appropriate location).

- Open SQL Enterprise Manager

- Expand the Console Root node to display "Microsoft SQL Servers\SQL Server Group\\Databases

For each of the UnityDb and ReportDb:

- Right-click on the database and choose properties.

For each of the 'Data Files' tab and the 'Transaction Log' tab:

- Click the 'Data Files' tab

- For the first UnityDb File name, uncheck the 'Automatically grow file' checkbox.

- Click the 'Restrict file growth' radio button under the 'Maximum file size' section.

- Create a new file by clicking the '...' button under the existing row in the 'Location' column.

- Expand the Directory tree of the 'Locate Database File' window to select the directory

created above.

- Enter a filename like 'Unitydb2.mdf' for a database or 'Unitydb_log2.ldf' for

a transaction log.

- Keep the default File Properties and click 'Ok'

- Repeat for the Transaction Log, then for each of the ReportDb's database

and transaction log files.

Repeat the OSQL steps above after these steps are completed.

Command prior to this document.

1>exec sp_attach_db UnityDb, 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\UnityDb.mdf', 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\UnityDb_log.LDF'

2>go

Rob, this install guide better explains where files and applications should go.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801ba4b3.html#20097

Hi all,

the description for my warning event is: " 5145 : Autogrow of the file 'ReportDb_log' in database 'Report_Db' took 123049 miilisecond. Consider using ALTER DATABASE to set smaller FILEGROWTH fo this file."

Actually I have backup the log file and I have shunk it alsotwice a time, then the log file physical size is went down to 15 MB which is good.

my question here that is it a normal growth ?

what are these logs ? events which make these logs ? is it only related to the report generation ?

thank you all.

Views
Helpful
Replies