Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobile Applications

maciej_wilk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you clarify what mobile Cisco solutions are available today?

I think there has been much confusion in the names of the appliactions. Since CUMC is now EoS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps7271/end_of_life_notice_c51-677140.html,

my understanding is that available mobile applications are as follows:

- Cisco Jabber for iPhone, is it already available? And is it the successor of Cisco Mobile for iPhone (which version)?

- Cisco Jabber for Android,

- Cisco Mobile for Nokia, what is the difference between Cisco Mobile for Nokia and Nokia Call Connect?

- there is no softphone for Blackberry, only IM

Is that correct?

Kind regards

Maciek

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maciek,

Have you looked at the latest CUCM SRND, they have a good section on mobile solutions.  You pretty much listed them, in addition one more I can think of is MVS solution for Blackberry.

Also, keep in mind that Jabber for iPhone is only IM solution at this time and to use it as phone you still need Cisco Mobile 8.1 application.

HTH,

Wszystkiego najlepszego w nowym roku!!!

Chris

Hi Chris,

The latest SRND is not so new as it still lists the Mobile Communicator.

Also it does not provide any answers to my questions.

Is Cisco Jabber for iPhone the next relase of Cisco Mobile 8.1? And when will it be possible to make calls using Jabber?

What's the difference between Cisco Mobile for Nokia and Nokia Call Connect?

MVS is a RIM product which I think is not available in Poland, but you know Polish very well, maybe you know

Kind regards

Maciek

Yes, all new Mobile and desktop applications will carry Jabber name, Jabber for iPhone IM is already out but that is not a phone application, at this time it is only Instant Messaging app for CUPS/WebEx, soon Jabber for iPhone will be released that completely replaces Cisco Mobile 8.1. 

Not sure about the Nokia products as there is very little market for Nokia in US, I would imagine this might be prevalent in Europe.

Yes, RIM's direction was not to allow 3rd party clients on their handsets so they provide MVS middleware for it, mistake in my mind, but the way the company has been managed no surprise here, and unless something drastic happens nobody will care soon.  Not sure about its availability outside of North America.

Urodzilem sie m Polsce ale wyjechalem dawno i nigdy tam nie pracowalem :-)

HTH, please rate helpful posts!

Chris

Thanks for help Chris. You can always come and visit Poland

Kind regards

Maciek

Yeah, it's been 6 years since my last visit, I was hoping to go this year, but I dont think it's going to happen.

Why not Chris? It's not that far

Hi both

Just to clarify, MVS is available from RIM in Europe. I can't be certain about Poland, but it's certainly available in the UK having become GA about 9 months ago.

It actally works pretty well, however does require BES server which precludes it from a lot of smaller customers who are running on BIS. It does have a huge advantage of seamless working whether your handset is directly connected over WiFi (with or without VPN)  or out of corporate coverage and running on GSM / data service only.

HTH. Barry

Barry,

great info (+5 points) as I am sure this will be helpful for others.

Chris