cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move 20 users from Unity 4.05 to Unity 4.2. Seperate sites

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have some subscribers on a lone Unity server and need to move them to our new cluster on 4.2. Seperate AD sites, probably no matching aliass.... I know I can probably go the backroad with Exchange and export the Remote Unity mailboxes to PST and reimport to this Unity Exchange box (voicemail only btw). But the settings is going to be tricky. Am I up the creek on this one and the subscribers will have to set there voicemail back up (password, greetings, etc) or is there away to do this better?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Although separate AD sites, are the Unity Exchange servers in same AD forest/Exchange organization? You should be able to use the Move Mailbox function. The cleanest way to do this without having the users re-enroll in voicemail:

- Copy to file each user's spoken name and various greetings to a networked drive location

- Delete from Unity server A

- Move Mailbox or export to PST/reimport into Exchange with Unity 4.2. If same AD forest, can leave AD account intact

- Reimport into Unity 4.2

- Go to Unity SA and paste from file each user's spoken name and various greetings from the network share

- In the Unity SA, uncheck the box on the Profile page - Set subscriber for self-enrollment at next login. However, retain the check box User must change password at next login

- Update PBX, i.e. CCM voicemail profile to go to new Unity server

- Give each user new default voicemail password and tell him or her to change voicemail password during 1st login by phone.

A bit of work on your part, but very little for the subscribers to do. And probably a no duh, but I'd run DBWalker and make sure you don't have any call handlers that referenced the subscribers on the old Unity server.

Ginger

ahhh.. so I should be able to go into each profile on Unity A, and export the recorded name and greeting to a WAV file, then import them back in on Unity B after i create those accounts.

Long way of doing it, but will work correct?

Hi -

Been there, done that :-) We had a user with corrupted mailbox and needed to rebuild. Used same procedure as I posted except we ran Cleanup agent, rebuilt mailbox and associated with user account. Imported into Unity and uploaded user's saved spoken name and greetings. This worked well. We've also done similar when we have a user move from one Unity server/domain/Exchange admin group to new Unity server/domain/Exchange admin group. The user's account was moved with AD Migration Tool. Once that was done, we reimported user into new Unity and uploaded greetings. If you only have a few users to move, I would try this. For mass moves though, asking the users to re-enroll may make more sense. A welcome note could accompany your change and lessen the discomfort. Plus with same inbox, the user does not lose existing voice messages.

Ginger

Since we are just going to be importing and exporting, Different unity versions should not matter correct? it's just wav files we are moving.