Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Move Publisher backup to new server( Cold Standby Server) ?

We have CUCM cluster consist of 1 publisher, 4 subscriber and have installed a new node like another cluster's publisher(with diferent ip address from existing publisher) . When existing publisher goes down we will move publisher backup to new server and change publisher ip address to new server on existing subscribers.

is it posible ?

Our aim is using new server for publisher down issue.(like cold standby server but diferent ip address from existing publisher)

Or is there any better way to install publisher backup on on branch? When publisher goes down we will use the new server like publisher.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Blue

Hi

You can do it, but do it with different approach

1) Keep new server to same IP address as old publisher. Without this you wil lnot be able to do database restore.

2) Use following procedure to change ip address to the new ip address which you like for publisher

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_0_1/ipchange/ipchg701.html#wp178550

Regards

Ronak Patel

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.
Blue

Hi

When you restore your data, the hostname, server  IP address, and the deployment type must be the same as it was during  the backup. DRS does not restore across different hostnames, IP  addresses and deployment types. Other details in below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_5_1/drsag851.html

Also you have to keep CUCM version exact. Also you will need rehost license as MAC address will change....

Regards

Ronak patel

Super Bronze

Hi

Re: changing the IP address, you must first restore to the server with the same IP address as the original one, then follow the procedure for changing the IP address:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094601.shtml

If the server is moving subnets this means you will need to restore from an SFTP server that has an IP address from the old subnet, but is actually sat in the new subnet.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Blue

HI

I believe you can do it, But the DB restore should be done after the ip address has been changed to old ip address. Than again change IP address of publisher to new ipaddress with the procedure give in above links.

Technically it should work.

Regards

Ronak patel

12 REPLIES
Blue

Hi

You can do it, but do it with different approach

1) Keep new server to same IP address as old publisher. Without this you wil lnot be able to do database restore.

2) Use following procedure to change ip address to the new ip address which you like for publisher

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_0_1/ipchange/ipchg701.html#wp178550

Regards

Ronak Patel

Hi Ronak,

Thanks for you reply. For database restore what would be same between old publisher and new publisher. And acording to your response I am not able to move backup from old server to new server with diferent ip address?

Blue

Hi

When you restore your data, the hostname, server  IP address, and the deployment type must be the same as it was during  the backup. DRS does not restore across different hostnames, IP  addresses and deployment types. Other details in below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_5_1/drsag851.html

Also you have to keep CUCM version exact. Also you will need rehost license as MAC address will change....

Regards

Ronak patel

Super Bronze

Hi

Re: changing the IP address, you must first restore to the server with the same IP address as the original one, then follow the procedure for changing the IP address:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094601.shtml

If the server is moving subnets this means you will need to restore from an SFTP server that has an IP address from the old subnet, but is actually sat in the new subnet.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

My aim is lacated a new server at a branch( for geographical publisher backup).  Network ip address  is diferent between headquarter(10.10.x.x) and branch(10.10.y.y). So is  this path good or not ?. Your advice about this path ?

1) install a new server at branch( with same hostname and type wihoud ip address).

2) When  old publisher goes down. I will change new publisher ip address  to old server ip address( due to doing this connect server with separete layer3 swith. Then restore with my laptop's SFTP server application which connect to same separete switch)

3) after restore the new server. Change ip address of new server (from old server ip address to new ip address which exist at branch)

4) connect new server to branch network.

5) Change publisher ip address (to new publiher ip address ) on all subcriber to new publihser ip address which located at branch.

6) Restart all servers.

What do you think about this prosedure. Please response your advice

Blue

HI

1) install a new server at branch( with same hostname and type wihoud ip address).

You can not install the CUCm server without any ip address. You have to install the CUCM server with ip address as same ip address as your old publisher. But since it is in different network, do not add it in network, rather create same network with dummy hardwarewith gateway as in  publisher ip address network and install publisher in new hardware.

Regards

Ronak patel

Hi Ronak.

Branch and headquarter is using same ntp server.

If I install cucm server in dumy network I need ntp server as well in dumy network. But I thinks install new publisher with new ip address. Then disconnect it from brance network and connect this new server to dummy network. Later change ip address make like old server( doing this for dont struggle with ntp ...)

So Ronak what do you think about this?

Blue

HI

I believe you can do it, But the DB restore should be done after the ip address has been changed to old ip address. Than again change IP address of publisher to new ipaddress with the procedure give in above links.

Technically it should work.

Regards

Ronak patel

I hope it will work as well

Last questions about this issue.

What is deployment type which  lis listed below?

Caution When you restore your data, the hostname, server IP address, and the deployment type must be the same as it was during the backup. DRS does not restore across different hostnames, IP addresses and deployment types.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_6_1/drsag861.html

Super Bronze

Hi

Re: NTP... you can have multiple NTP servers assigned, and only the primary NTP server is used for license MAC generation. As such, I would:

1) set the primary NTP server to be the real NTP address you want to use. This will not be accessible when you build the server with the old servers' IP.

2) set the secondary NTP server to an accessible NTP server. I do this by setting up NTP on the server you serve the SFTP backup file from. I use Meinberg NTP if this is a Windows box, it's free.

That way you can build the server (primary NTP not accessible, but secondary is so it's fine). Then after the restore, change IP address and it will start using the primary NTP server.

I presume deployment type refers to product and role .e.g. a CUCM Publisher, not a CUC server or CUCMBE publisher.

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Hi,

When install new publisher with new ip address ı will assing with existing ntp server(branc and headquarter is using same ntp server).

Then when move new publisher to dummy network I will create ntp server on layer3 switch or as you said create ntp sever on computer which connect to dummy network. and change ip address from new ip to old ip(same with the old publisher). Then move backup to server and later change ip address again to new ip address. Then connect to existing network.

then change publish ip address from subcribers.

What do you think about this.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content