Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving data from a CUCM 7.0(1) server to a CUCM 7.1(3) server

sricci
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we have a working CUCM 7.0(1), and we would move to a CUCM 7.1(3) on a different server. Is there any clue about moving the data from the old server to the new one?

Backup and restore are useless as per different CUCM versions, we have tried with export/import but without success: are there different paths then reconfigure step by step the new system?

thank you for any suggestion

Sergio

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Two options:

1) Backup, build new server as 7.0(1), restore 7.0(1) backup, and then upgrade

2) Upgrade existing server to 7.1(3), back up, restore to new build 7.1(3)

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The export/import option is still a valid approach. But, as you have discovered, there are differences between versions of CUCM with file and header structures. Presently, I mark this up to (a) feature differences and (b) Export/Import of all data is still a new trick in Cisco's bag.

That being said, your goal is to conform the data to the import file structures on the CUCM 7.1 system. Further, all export data is in a nice text-based, CSV format. Which means you may want to consider normalizing the 7.0 export data to the 7.1 export data. For data that is not exported, you can still create CSV files yourself using Excel (or comparable tool). Even if you exported the file structure from 7.1 and then populated the data pseudo-manually, it would be quicker than clicking away on the web interface.

Now, there are going to be some things you will want to add manually because there are certain dependencies. At a minimum, if you can get partitions, CSSs, route patterns, translations, etc. added to the system using the bulk export/import you will be in good shape. For the phones, well features change on the phones and normalizing those records will be tougher but definitely do-able. I haven't done this recently, but I have moved large amounts of phone records from one CUCM version/cluster to another using only the bulk export - all details option. For phones I recommend taking the most complicated device you have on the 7.0 system and mimic that configuration on your 7.1 system (you may need to stand up temporary CSS/pt configs, etc. Then bulk export the 7.0 and 7.1 phone. Compare the two records and look for structural differences in the phone record. This will give you clues on how to automate the normalization of the records.

Sounds cumbersome, and it is to a certain extent but it depends on (a) how much of the 7.0 config you want to preserve and (b) how many records are you dealing with. In all cases, I believe it is quicker to use the bulk import feature than to build things out manually.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

sricci
Level 1
Level 1

Bill, Aaron,

many thanks for your answers.

Aaron, I couldn't normalize the CUCM versions, unlikely I must keep the two version stated in my original post.

Bill, I will try to work with the CSV files. I'll take your suggestions. There are not so many records to work on.

all the best

Sergio

Hi

Sure, you can do the CSV route.

But tell me why you can't just build the same version on the other server, then upgrade?

Have you lost the media

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

it's a strange case, i know, but the fact is that we need to reconfigure from scratch the Customer CUCM without upgrade it. CUCM 7.1(3) is a temporary solution, that allow not to stop the Voice service in the Customer environment.

Meanwhile I had a look at the CSV files and it sounds like an headache. The final solution is to reconfigure step by step

the CUCM 7.1(3) server.

regards

Sergio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: