cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Subcribers to new Message Store

k.peters
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with Unity 4.0(3) SR1 with an offbox Exchange 2003 server. They added a new message store and tried to move a user to the new store. After moving that user they could no longer access their Voice Mail box nor would their MWI work. I had to re-run permissions wizard on the new store to fix the issue of accessing their mailbox. After that they still could not send a message within voice mail. They got a failsafe saying the call could not be completed. We finally deleted the user and re-added and then all features worked. The customer is planning on moving more users in the future and I was wondering if there was a procedure to move Unity subscribers to a different store. Now that I have run the permissions wizard on the new store, should I be able to just move subscribers now? Is there a documented procedure for future reference? Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Using Exchange Move Mailbox utility you should be able to move subscribers to other information stores and storage groups, as long as the Unity permissions have been run for those. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800946b2.shtml

The only caveat is the Unity messaging system mailbox, which resides on the partner server and has a specific set of procedures to do - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531bde.html

Ginger

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

if both message stores service the unity system them moving them should be without incident. (as long as all permissions, etc. are taken care of as you have done)

how did you move the user to the new store?

i use the AD to move users between exchange message stores.

in AD admin, click on the container with the users and then right-click the user name, (or choose a group of user names), and then choose the ExchangeTasks option.

the exchangeTaskWizard pops up and you can then choose the MoveMailbox option. you then have the ability to choose what exchange server and which message store you would like to move the users too.

I have a similar issue, except that we are running digital networking between two unity servers (UM), each with it's own separate exchange 2003 message store. What is the correct procedure to move a user from one unity server to the other in addition to moving the mailbox? Each unity server has it's own vm profile in callmanager, so without moving the user to the correct unity server, the user cannot access their mailbox.

Thanks!!!

Adam

Hi Adam -

Your environment mirrors ours. We are one AC forest, but separate Exchange administrative groups. Each Unity server is in its own domain. So in our case, if we have to move a subscriber, we cannot use GSM. We use this procedure:

1. Remove subscriber from Unity on server 1

2. Use Active Directory Migration Tool to move the user and computer account

3. Move mailbox between Exchange administrative/routing groups

4. Wait for, or force, AD replication. Occasionally we need to resynch Unity using DC/GC Reconnect tool (can also use DohProptest) so that the networked Unity servers release the user's extension from the SQL Global Subscriber table.

5. Import the user into Unity server 2. For multiple users I use Bulk Import.

6. Update the voicemail profile in CallManager for the user's DN.

Ginger

Ginger,

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Adam